c natural

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
lemonsquash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lemonsquash »

My reed is functioning quite nicely, responsive through both octaves, except for the fact that it doesn't want to play c natural--it will do, but only under duress and generally only coming up from b and not down from back d. Any thoughts, friends?
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

How are you fingering it?

Remember that c natural on pipes is fingered something like this, although chanters are different and pipers use different fingerings to get different tonal colors:

thumb -x
LH1 - o
LH2 - x
LH3 - x
RH1 - x
RH2 - o
RH3 - o
RH4 - X

This is the "square" way to do it; if you want the C to sound tortured and soulful, you have to learn to half hole LH1, lift the chanter slightly, and lift either RH1 and RH2 or RH2 and RH3, depending on what sounds right to you, and fan one of the vents to get that fluttering tremolo effect.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

My chanter likes:
t OXXXOXX x
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

My chanter, in the past, has liked what Tony's does--and so I'm leery of changing my fingering to solve what may be a temporary reed disorder, only to have to change back, or try to. It does, however, produce a good c natural with rh2 and 3 off the holes. At any rate, thanks for your replies, gentlemen, and particularly your detailed instructions for soulful torturing, Pat.

Best,

Lemon
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I had a similar problem not long ago. Finally I found out that the reed wasn't sitting firmly and airtight in the chanter. I was able to fix this by applying some teflon tape (you can use hemp or whatever).
Christian
lemonsquash

Post by lemonsquash »

Christian,

That was the ticket. Cheers.

Lemon
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

If pressure is an issue, try Robbie Hannan's preferred fingering for C nat:
o
x
x
o
v
o
x

The "v" denotes the tone hole where you give the note vibrato.
The note should be played with the chanter [slightly] lifted off the knee.
LH1 is 3/4 open, so the finger still covers 1/4 or less. Do this by straightening the finger out. Best practiced with a tuner if you haven't a musical ear.

Boyd.
Please visit http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
A festival for adults learning traditional music. Flook and Sean Potts teaching this year.