OT: Swedish bagpipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

I was looking at Swedish bagpipes because it seems that some have a diatonic chanter fingered the same as a whistle. Whistle will have to remain my primary instrument because I have trouble with interference between similar instruments (bones and bodrhan certainly don't confuse me), but I would really enjoy playing a reedy sounding instrument with a drone. I tried to search archives before posting this, but didn't see how to search in pipes posts. Would Swedish bagpipes, like the ones sold by Lark in the Morning, be a good option for me? Are there any other options that wouldn't require learning different fingering? I also considered the double reed pipe, but it looks like the fingering would confuse me.
I noticed Lark had some practice pipes made of synthetic materials at a very reasonable price, but I've learned always to ask around before ordering anything from Lark.
Lisa
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lisa,
I did a quick search but I couldn't find a fingering chart for the Swedish bagpipes. You might want to e-mail Lark for one.
I'm posting some different charts for Uilleann pipes so you can compare them to the whistle.
http://www.songsea.com/uwc.htm (near the bottom of the page)
http://www.wfg.sneezy.org/iup_bas.html (go to the main page for other instruments)

Here's a thought... If you buy the Swedish bagpipes and you don't like them, your chances of resale are probably less than the same situation with Uilleann pipes.
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Tony,
I got more than enough enlightenment out of both links you listed--thanks for the gentle nudge in the right direction. I was a little reluctant to post my question here because I don't want to insult anyone with my cavalier attitude about pipes, but my attitude was cavalier when I first started playing whistle, and now I'm a whistler beyond the point of no return. My boyfriend just left the room after asking me, You're not going get into another &%$ instrument are you??? Lucky for him if I have to choose between him and playing pipes, I choose him. :smile:
Lisa
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Does your boyfriend play an instrument ?
Andreas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Andreas »

The swedish bagpipe is quite cheap (about 200-800 euros depending on quality and materials), and has diatonic fingering. It is usually played in the special "Dala-moll" (Dala-minor) mode (A minor with f# and g#) with the drone in E and the chanter from E to E (not counting the lowest note D or D# which is not used so often), but usually one buys one with optional tuning holes which can easily be blocked or opened. It has single reeds in both the chanter and the drone pipe.

It is a quite quiet instrument that can be used to play with other instruments and is fairly easy to learn to play (when bagpipes is concerned). Perhaps the best thing to do if you are interested in bying one, is to visit the link that I posted in another topic earlier.
Good luck!
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

Tony,
No, he doesn't--he has a djembe (african drum) but doesn't seem interested. I've tried to get him interested in whistle, but he's not interested in applying himself. He used to play some guitar until he found out that playing with other people meant keeping steady rhythm, so he gave up on that too. He's a really good silversmith and lapidarist, though, does make his living at his craft, so he's got his creative outlet.
Andreas,
Thanks so much for your explanation--it is as I suspected. I think this would be a very fun instrument to get acquainted with, so I will look into it more.
Cheers,
Lisa

PS It will be at least a year before I can begin raising the money for something like this, but you know how wanting is more consuming than having.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-03-28 16:33 ]</font>