New reed questions...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Do you also find that you have to let off on the pressure for back D or else it sounds flat? It's different from a whistle where you can blow a flat note in tune by pushing a little harder. On my pipes anyway, if I blow a little harder on back D, it goes flatter. It's kinda weird really...going up the scale, and after increasing the pressure a bit for the upper half of the first octave, letting off really fast for the back D.

Pretty tough in a fast passage I imagine. Well, anyway, I've recorded a short bit of The Parting Glass, and I'll let ya all tell me what ya think. I'm sending it over to Tony at Clips and Snips.

Slán!

Bri~
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

That's pretty impressive that DDaye would have 4 humidifiers going.

Brian, sounds like you're making great progress. Try to play an f# grace note in front of the high octave g...just a wee little f# first, barely perceptible, as you are lifting the two fingers to play the g when going up from G or any other first octave note. It is a useful trick that I use when the reed is requiring a little more pressure and it adds to the piping as well. I think S. Ennis did this a lot.

The other reed problem sounds like a low humidity issue and will get better soon or whenever you humidify the room.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Boy!

Recordings make ya humble. :smile: My bit of 'The Parting Glass' is up on clips and snips, and it doesn't sound nearly as good as I thought it did when I played it at first. Oh well! Mirrors and digital recordings don't lie! LOL!!!

Happy for any critique though-

Bri~