elder reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Someone mentioned in another thread making reeds out of elder (perhaps it was Brendan Ring).

Ummmmmm, what exactly is elder - is it a type of cane or is it a wood? Where do you get yours? What are the advantages of using it? Is it easier or harder to work with? How's it sound?

Thanks,
Jeff
Strider

Post by Strider »

Hi Jeff,

Actually there are quite a number of posts in the archives about elder reeds. Just click on the search link and type in elder reeds - I did it and was surprised at the past discussions.

Cheers,

Paul

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Strider on 2002-04-05 20:15 ]</font>
brendan ring
antispam: No

Post by brendan ring »

Jeff,
There will definately be an article by me on elder in the Pipers Review comming issue. Have a look in a book on flora to see what it looks like. You can't buy it, you have to collect it. It is initially more tricky to work with than cane, it is best to hone your reedmaking skills on cane first. As regards what it sounds like, listen to my CD. As far as I know it is the only recording of a set of uilleann pipes entirely reeded with elder, but I could be wrong! The only other piper I know who uses an elder chanter reed is Donnacha Gough from Danu, and it's a reed I made for him. You can hear the CD on my website http://www.brendanring.com. There are several sound samples so you don't even have to buy it! Pipes certainly did use elder double reeds sometimes, pastoral pipes have been found with them. Also sets of uilleann pipes by Robert Reid have been found with elder double reeds. The thing about piping is that the response and feel of the instrument are very important, and elder reeds 'feel' much better to play than cane.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

After the Piper's Review publishes your article would you consider posting it to the group or a web page?

Dionys
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Oh.. By the way.. The pipes with Elder reeds sound absolutely beautiful. More like a hive of buzzing bees than most cane reeds seem able to produce. Good recording technique, too.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
anima

Post by anima »

Brendan,

Are the elder reeds just as sensitive to temperature and humidity as cane reeds? Where I live in the USA (Kansas City) must have some of the most schizophrenic weather patterns in the world. A reed that is a little less tempermental among these conditions would be nice. :smile:

Jeff
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

brendon,
what diameter elder do you use,i guess i need to read your article. i have several pieces 1 1/16 inches o d on down to 1/2 inch and they are 4 -5 years old. i cleaned out the pith when i gathered them.some i seasoned with bark some without. elder grows everywhere in alabama and once you know it you can spot it even while driving,the leave pattern resembles hickory and soon the white flowers will appear(i believe in late april here).

cheers,tansy
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

Thankyou Dionys, my ego is massaged!
Jeff,I personally think that elder is more stable than cane, I have certainly had far less problems since I began using it. I think this is because it feels so much nicer as well that I'm less inclined to mess with the reed. Tansy, regarding size, I use big branches for the double reeds, anything from 3 up to 10 inches or however big the tree grows, the pith is irrelevant, the reed is carved from solid wood.
anima

Post by anima »

solid wood....... hmmm now I really need to see your article.

Is the elder we are talking about of the Sambucus Canadensis variety?

Jeff
p.s. just bought your CD from http://www.madfortrad.com Brendan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anima on 2002-04-06 14:39 ]</font>
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I've just been lisening to Brendan's album (now what on earth could have inspired the title "Troublesome Things", I wonder...).

First of all, thanks, Brendan, I've sent you a PM about it.

Regarding its relevance to this thread, I would expect an elder chanter reed to sound mellow, and one could really only judge mellowness in the flesh, but on the record it certainly isn't dull, and I'm greatly motivated to make a go of reedmaking with cane and then make the transition to elder.

In the meantime, and especially bearing in mind Brendan's remarks about satisfaction leading to a reduced propensity to tinker, I would, as a humble consumer, encourage established reedmakers to try their hand at elder and bring it back into the mainstream. I still have a not entirely rational belief that it would be particularly appropriate for narrow-bore instruments, and would love to see a wider consensus on whether this is true.

My own Rogge wide-bore D sounds very sweet when the (cane) reed supplied with it is playing well, but it is very susceptible to changes of weather. I had it in Clare for a few days recently and I was happy as a pig in s.... with it. I look forward to trying an elder reed in it.
anima

Post by anima »

I have decided that my reeds are much like my children, They behave if/and when they want to.

Jeff