Flat pipes- Worth switching?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
josamumc

Post by josamumc »

I have been toying with the idea of switching to flat pitched pipes for a number of reasons, A-I enjoy their sound a lot more than concert pitch(at least what I have heard from recordings, have yet to hear them in person), B-more importantly I live in a small apartment where my neighbors have not been overly accepting of my present squwacks and squeaks, which limits the amount of practice time I am able to get in. I read the past thread on flatpipes and people seemed to be raving about them, I was curious if they truly are a much more mellow alternative, or is not worth the hassle of trying to sell my present pipes and get on another waiting list for flat pipes. It took me so long to get up the money for my present set, and it plays so well despite my lack of talent I would hate to give them up if it would not be a considerable change. Any advice is always appreciated!
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

The short, glib answer is "YES!" They are easier to play, even if the stretch between tone holes might make it seem otherwise at first. The only disadvantage is that other players have to tune down to you.

A good set of flat pipes is even more lovely in person. I have played numerous flat sets in my time and find them very enjoyable. Like buying concert pitch instruments though, you need to listen to a variety of instruments and decide on a sound, price, and delivery schedule.

Pat
josamumc

Post by josamumc »

I am not even worrying about playing with other instruments I really just play by myself for the fun of it, but of course that may change down the road you never know. Are there any pipemakers know for the their flat pipes?
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

The usual recommendation is to go to a Tionol and listen to several different sets in person to formulate who's pipes you would like to order. Keep in mind that each piper sets his reeds differently and you might find two sets of the same maker sounding very different.
Often pipers are willing to buy instruments made half-way 'round the world based solely on reputation. Others order from the nearest maker... or even the one with the best price. Whatever you decide, I think the advice you get on this board would be beneficial.
josamumc, will you share some information about your location, and pipes you already have. This may help in recommendation, especially if you're an isolated piper and plan to go it alone.
In the mean time, you might want to adjust you reed to play a bit quieter. It will affect the performance but still allow you to practice with less annoyance to the neighbors. You should also think about sound asorbing materials... something portable and inexpensive that blocks the sound from passing thru walls, doors and ventilation systems.
josamumc

Post by josamumc »

I live in Quincy, Mass. which is 20 minutes from Boston. I got my set a little less than a year ago. It is a practice set by English maker Brian Howard. I have not been to a Tionol yet, I am hoping to attend one this year, and I am also trying to get out to the Piper's Gathering in North Hero Vermont. Hopefully I will get some exposure to flat pipes at these events.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

josamumc, I suggest you contact pipemaker Bruce Childress located in Gardner, MA. His website is: http://www.bcpipes.com/
He's very knowledgeable about his craft and a great person to know. I've heard several good comments from people who have visited his shop. He will demonstrate the different styles (and pitches) of pipes he offers... and you get to play them first hand.
Currently he's on a 2 year backlog for full sets, which is normal for most pipemakers in the states. I purchased a B pitched chanter from him late last year that was completed in 4 months.
His pipes are well crafted, he gives great customer support (not to mention close proximity from you) Childress is one to consider.
-----------------
Let me add to this post...
Because so many recorded tutorials and music CD's are played on D chanters it would be a good idea to keep yours and ADD the flat pitched chanter to your instrument collection. This way you won't limit yourself to the amount of music you can play along with and not have to rely on special pitch/speed altering software.
Also note, flat pitch refers to any of the narrow bore instruments that range from C# to Db.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2002-03-13 07:52 ]</font>
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Another nearby maker is Seth Gallagher of Cold Spring, NY. He builds very beautiful flat pipes in the keys of C and B natural. They remind me very much of Willie Rowsome's instruments in their appearance and tone, and the B instruments are especially nice.

Pat
Tony

Post by Tony »

I've got a Gallagher C chanter that plays very well.
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

Flat pitche pipes are indeed superior. The ornaments are easier to accomplishand the tone is less grating and more mellow thant most concert pitch pipes. Terry Briley posted a note re a Preshaw C chanter for sale. I have extensive knowledge of this chanter. It is playing well at the moment with a really great reed. You might want to start there with an acquisition of a flat pitched chanter. GLANDMAN
josamumc

Post by josamumc »

Pat,
I just read your post in the next thread about tutorials. You said that the notes in the second octave should only require a 20-30% percent increase in pressure. I am baring down hard on my bag and using a little pressure from my bellows to keep the second octave going, obviously this is not correct. Could this be due to the fact that my reed was made in England and I live in the US, or could something else be wrong.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

you shouldn't have to crush the bag that hard to maintain the upper octave, at least not until you're in the upper c/d area, and even then, it requires attention to what you're doing more than brute strength. You may need to close down the reed opening a little or thin the reed slips out. However, be sure of what you're doing before you start scraping the reed, as scrapes on different areas affect different notes.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-03-13 09:53, Pat Cannady wrote:
They remind me very much of Willie Rowsome's instruments in their appearance and tone,
Was that meant as a recommendation???:-)
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Ha ha Peter, I knew that would get your attention :smile:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Just a short general note, while you can benefit from things posted here, do realise there are people here that are much more vocal than others: Tony is always very quick to point everybody in the direction of BC, because he has a chanter by him and he is happy with it. Now, I won’t say anything in favour or against that, but let’s say I have heard BC playing a clip on his website and to me this is a long way from my own image of the ideal sound and the playing of a flat set. These things are personal, do go by your own judgement, go for what you like yourself. In 1984 I happened to stray across a man then living on the opposite end of this world. I became fast friends with him, and when I ordered a C set from him two years later (because I thought they were unmatched by anything I had heard) people said I was crazy paying 1400 sterling for a thing like that. Well, these people are now on the far end of his 12 year waiting list (I had him postpone delivery from three to six months from ordering). Who’s laughing now?
What I am saying is mainly: use your own common sense and go for what you like (while trying to make as informed a decision as you possibly can) there are a lot of different makers, styles and qualities out there. And what suits me, Tony or anybody else, may not suit you.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Peter, sorry to sound like I was promoting Childress pipes. Josamumc lives about an hour ride from him and I think it would be a great experience to see a demonstration first hand.

This would also get someone with experience to have a look at Josamumc's chanter and adjust the reed (with good explaination) for him.