pain in right hand

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
holyjoker

pain in right hand

Post by holyjoker »

I'm new to the uilleann world but im curious about the pain that i get in my right hand between my thumb and the rest of my hand after playing for more then 20 minutes. I was wondering if maybe im putting to much pressure into my grip or if im just getting used to the stretch and motions of playing. Any suggestions, comments?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

It's called "Death Grip"

Lighten up. Open and close your hand a few times and give yourself a break.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Defonatley a case of Death Grip try taking your thumb off while playing just to loosen up I realize it mighy be kind of hard on UPs so con't play any thing with a low D. This is what I did to help me loosen up on the GHBs you only have to do this a little to otice a difference.
vcolby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vcolby »

The small muscle between your finger and thumb is being used as it never has before. Relax your grip on the chanter and stretch it a bit. You should also be able to play entire songs with your thumb off the chanter. This will feel very awkward at first, but becomes easy later.

You are probably holding to tight with the left hand as well. Try lifting your thumb and front finger off at the same time.

Good luck!

Virgil
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Practice only a little bit at a time. Stecth your hands and fingers well before, during and after practicing. Do NOT hold the chanter tightly.
glands

Post by glands »

lightly sand a thumbtack point...just a little to dull it slightly then tape it to the back of the chanter where you place the thumb..... tip facing outwards of course... and play :twisted:
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

I tried playing with that thumb on the chanter as little as possible...i was even able to get low d and e. if you have to squeeze hard to get hole coverage then you're prolly off target. i've found i don't need anything more than the natural weight of my fingers in the relaxed position in order to close off the holes.
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Unbeknownst to many, pains in the hand, particularly the thumb is often caused by tension building up in muscles further up the arm, even in the triceps. If the pains have not developed to such an extent that you have them when not playing as well, it is a good idea to let your arms drop loosely by your side every ten minutes or so during practice fro a minute or two - loosely from the shoulders down letting the natural weight of your arms relieve any tension. This will help to avoid tension developing into what are called 'trigger points', little lumps in your muscles which refer pain to other parts of your body - up and down your arms.

Be aware too that many pains in the arm and hand are also caused by tension even further up again in the neck muscle group called 'scalenes'. It's a good idea to be aware of tension in your neck, of trying to avoid slouching and the forward-head position particulalry when playing the pipes. Stretching exercises should include turning your head slowly as far to the left and right as possible and then chin up and chin down as far as possible, then tilting your head to the left then right gently until you feel a slight tension. But never should you do 'head circles' - rotating your head in a circular motion.

Many pains in my hands and foreams I have relieved greatly by attending to these muscles before even thinking about strained muscles in the hands.

Gently stretching the thumb back towards your wrist also helps relieve tension. You should also do the same with all your other fingers as well.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Antaine wrote:I tried playing with that thumb on the chanter as little as possible...i was even able to get low d and e. if you have to squeeze hard to get hole coverage then you're prolly off target. i've found i don't need anything more than the natural weight of my fingers in the relaxed position in order to close off the holes.
The problem with this is that it's easy to over-compensate by gripping harder with the top hand because when you take your bottom hand thumb off the chanter there is a tendency to try and prevent the chanter from moving about by using your right hand to steady it. If you have trouble playing back D in this context then that is an indication you are over-compensating. If you can play the chanter without it moving about and without increasing your grip with the top hand then this method is useful.

It's all about easing up and holding the thing as you would normally hold it, thumbs and all. Also, don't confuse pressing the bag with gripping your chanter. I personally have noticed a tendency to grip harder when for some reason I have to press the bag harder, ie, if my reeds are particularly hard (que someone who feels the need to write a comment about reeds not needing to be hard to blow).

Cheers,

DavidG
Joseph E. Smith

.....um, reeds shouldn't be THAT hard to blow. :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Gotta hand it to ya Joseph E. Smith - you sure are the fastest respondee in the east. -Quick Draw McSmith :D
Joseph E. Smith

ausdag wrote:Gotta hand it to ya Joseph E. Smith - you sure are the fastest respondee in the east. -Quick Draw McSmith :D
:lol: :lol: Or, perhaps, Quickie McGowan? :lol:
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

:lol: :lol:
Kerryman

Post by Kerryman »

I have a bit of a pain in my right hand at the moment. Its called a broken wrist. I was able to play the tin whistle about a week after I broke it but I am having trouble spreading my fingers far apart enough to cover all the holes on the chanter all the time. Anyway the cast comes off in a few days and I will try again.

Liam

Image[/img]
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Kerryman,

From the photo I spot a couple of issues with your technique that you may want to address.

1. Bring your legs closer together. It presents better posture and will help later when you get regs.

2. On your upper hand A finger. Place the first pad of that finger over the hole. In the photo it looks like you have the first joint of that finger or possibly even the second pad over it and that just isn't cricket old bean.

Bottom hand looks good.

Just trying to spread the good word.

Praise be,

Patrick.