Take a look at these!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Found these while browsing on e-bay this morning
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1510333096. If I could only win the lottery
brendan ring
antispam: No

Post by brendan ring »

Hello,
I'm new to the pipes forum but I've been reading it for a while. I play pipes low whistle and I also make pipes. That Crowley set does look great, and at 5,500 dollars a really good buy, theres a lot of modern makers charging a lot more than this! I saw a very similar set in the window of Crowleys music shop in Cork last year but they weren't for sale the family were just displaying them. If only I could win the lotto too...

All the best
Brendan
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I sent off for David Dayes book on how to build a set yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to do it as that is the only way I will ever be able to afford a set
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

WOW !!!!!
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Ron... I saw that eBay listing a few days ago and grit my teeth. That Crowley set would be an awesome piece of history to have in my collection. It's the pipes or a new roof on my house. I hate to say it, but the priority is a new roof :sad:
I'm sure whoever buys it would have to put an additional $1,000 into it's restoration.

Hi Brendan, welcome to C&F !! Great website, much success with the 'troublesome' CD
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

To hell with the roof.... buy a tarp.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Dave Parkhurst wrote: To hell with the roof.... buy a tarp.
I did... but the building inspector say's it has to go!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

If you haven't been following the auction, the highest bid was $3,800 never making the reserve with 11 bids. It's been re-listed with the 'buy now' lowered from $5,500 to $4,400 with a starting bid of $4,000.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1513120986
wcorley4

Post by wcorley4 »

It's off the auction at $4100.00. Nice project for someone.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Did you catch the PATSY BROWN set from 1911?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1515885601
Buy it now for $6,000
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

At one point seamus Ennis was doing a recital at Na Piobairi Uilleann, as was his wont, he was talking about his pipes and went on and on about his bag, how his father designed it, the special thingumie on the neck and the celtic designs on it. After a while Paddy Keenan called out : ' That's all fine Seamus but if they don't hold the air they are not worth a f*ck'.

The same applies to these old sets. They are old but the only thing that should concern you are they well made and playable? Keep perspective, 4-6000 is an awful lot of money to spend on a bunch of sticks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-02-20 05:44 ]</font>
Tony

Post by Tony »

Agreed Peter. This eBay method of 'frenzy purchase' certainly isn't the best way. Often, these antique sets require extensive work just to determine if they're playable. By that time, it's too late. One can only hope the chanter isn't twisted, cracked or modified by a previous owner.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yes, all that and old sets can be total crap too, bad instruments have been made throughout the ages.