Liam O'Flynn

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Strider
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Strider »

Hi gang, I'm very new to all this Uilleann craziness, I'm on my journey to discover and purchase my first practice set - wish me luck - you'll probably be hearing more from me;-)

The first time I'd heard the uilleann pipes, I was travelling in Ireland - Galway actually, and one by one, in comes a hoard of musicians carrying a various assortment of instruments. Well, what an experience to hear a blended symphonious chorus of beautiful music. I was hooked - that was in 1990!
Well, I've been a busy lad and I'm finally getting around to sink my fingers into these things. Also when I was in the UK, I picked up a CD by Mark Knopfler "Cal" - a xoundtrack for the movie of the same name. It wasn't until last year when I sought out who plays those beatiful pipes! It was Liam O'Flynn. I've since bought another CD by Liam O'Flynn-"The Given Note" (Tara) ---> it's awesome - I listen to it about 4 times a week at least still after a year.

Wondering if anyone has ever listened to him play in person and if there are any other recordings out there that you might recommend? Also are there any other uillean heros out there in recording land that you would take to your deserted island?

Cheers

tomato@hot-house.net
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I know of a online radio broad cast with him giving an interview. Here's the web address:

http://www.kusp.org/archive/

The interview is second from last. I really enjoyed it.

caryn
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Look out for CDs of the band Planxty. Great tunes, great arrangements and great piping from Liam. His latest solo CD "The piper's call" from 1998 very much follows the same pattern in tune selection and arrangements as "The given note", so you might at first be a bit disappointed with that one (although I really love the CD). I've seen Liam perform with his band in Galway two years ago. He makes pipering seem like a piece of cake. Really enviable.
By the way, does anyone of you piping buffs know if his first solo recording from 1988 is available anywhere? I could not get it from Na Piobairi Uilleann, so I guess it might be a collector's item by now.
Christian
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Follow this link for some great Uilleann pipe information.
http://www.taramusic.com/artists.htm
You can listen to some sound samples and purchase Liam O'Flynn CD's online They also mention 70's Supergroup Planxty.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Thanks all for the tips, esp. Caryn for the radio broadcast - I listened to it last before bed - what a marvelous interview!

He did mention Planxty - but do you think I would have been able to spell that one on my own:-) Needless to say I couldn't sleep all night - Uilleann dreams!!
anima

Post by anima »

It was Liam's playing on the "Brendan voyage" that got me hooked. He's still my favorite.

Jeff
Strider

Post by Strider »

Jeff, I found a site that has some MP3 clips of the Brendan Voyage by Shaun Davey. All I can say is WOW - I'll have to find that recording somewhere!

http://www.shaundavey.com/albums.htm#Brendan

Cheers,

Paul
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Davey Spillane's newest "Sea of Dreams" is in my view, his best work but when Ireally think of traditional piping, it's got to be Liam O'Flynn.
My favorite in order are:
Out to an Other Side (TARA CD3031)
The Piper's Call (TARA CD3037)
The Given Note (TARA CD3034)
He is awsome!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Interesting that your best tradsitional piping is on 'Out to another side' which is mostly, as the title suggests not tradtional at all at all.
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Point taken. You are probably knowledgeable & experienced in the matter and I am not. I'm just a guy who heard the pipes a couple of years ago and fell in love with the sound. If it were not for the likes of Amazon.com I probably would not have had the ability to hear some of his music and subsequently get hooked on it.
Perhaps it is better to say that when I hear from the "Out to An Other Side" CD a song like "Sean O Duibhir a Ghleanna" I find it more traditional that say, Davey Spilane's "Atlantic Bridge" - although I happen to like them both for different reasons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glengary on 2002-01-28 14:47 ]</font>
anima

Post by anima »

I ike it when he combines the U. pipes with the Gaita on - it really shows the depth and accessibility of the instrument