Chieftains Question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jen

Post by jen »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the title of the song near the end of the The Chieftains -Live Over Ireland: Water from the Well video(2000) I think it starts "I went down to Dublin Town...(something)...County Down" they are playing live in a pub. Does anyone know if this song is on any of their albums or if it could be found in a traditional song book? Thanks so much, I'm sorry for the off topic post! :smile:
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Amazon.com has music samples
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 38-5614408
--------
added info:

Star Of The County Down can be found on the 'Irish Heartbeat' CD
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 09-8806341

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2002-02-04 20:47 ]</font>
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

could it be"the star of the county down"?
tansy
jen

Post by jen »

Hi!

Thanks so much! It's Star of the County Down, I think it is an extra song on the videotape that can't be found on the CD. A quick uilleann pipe question, I was thinking about starting with an uilleann chanter, but I'm not sure if the plastic ones are good, they look a little like a highland bagpipe chanter but with a different top. Do most people try to start with a practice set?
Thanks so much again, I was looking for the song for ages, :smile:

Jen
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Jen,
Some people have made good use of the mouth blown Uilleann practice chanter while others haven't. Unlike whistles, they don't seem to have much resale value either.
You might research an easy do-it-yourself practice set from David Daye. http://www.daye1.com/pennychanter.html
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Jen,
You can finde a version of Star of the County Down sung by Van Morrison on the Chieftains Long Black Veil cd
jen

Post by jen »

hi,

thanks! :smile: I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I've seen his plans for sets made from PVC and tubing, do they sound close to a real set? I bought plans from Alan Ginsberg, I hope to try to make one of the flutes.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hallo you all, I'm new to the board.

Jen you'll find the song you are looking for on the VAN MORRISON & THE CHIEFTAINS cd.
But this version sounds a bit different to the one on the DVD because it is a liverecording.
Hope this is of some help.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jen- be sure to check out http://www.uilleann-pipes.de and look at the delrin (polyacetyl) practice set that Andreas Rogge makes. It is really good.
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I have a Rogge plastic chanter and in the words of my bagpipe teacher "it kick's arse!". I really like it and would recommend looking into a Rogge chanter.

caryn