Regulating Regulators

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
meuritt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by meuritt »

I've had regs on my Quinn C since summer. I can choose the chords that sound good to me fairly easily and can sustain them pretty well and sometime chop out the down beat, but that is still a work in progress. But after close to twenty years of playing concertina and trying to bring out the down beat, I find it near impossible to work the regs on the the up beat. I hope I am making sense....

Can anyone offer any exercises for the aspiring regulator player?

Second Question What technique do you use on your set to play off the knee and be able to reach the low notes on the regs. I find myself twisting very awkwardly and loosing control of the music, even when trying to end a tune on a hard D with the low chord.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated, thanks

Mike
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

OH, YES! I know these problems, too. I fear the only answer is: Be diligent, practice your pipes and wait another 14 years.
Christian
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

shoulder-strap, pipes pulled up (not too high but comfortably) so that your right hand is over the middel (afa)chord should be good enough to reach them all (pull up your left shoulder to get the pipes up higher to reach lowest (df). And yes, practice.