Spoiled by flat piping?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

I thought I'd throw in my bit and mention that Seth Gallagher(who seems to be a reputable maker) sells sets in B and C. The description on the website (http://www.uilleann.com)
says they are flat-pitched, but it doesn't say say narrow-bored. The description of the chanters also uses very similiar wording to what has been used on this discussion. So to come to the point: Are Seth Gallaghers B and C chanters the sort of chanter you are all talking about, and are these particular ones reputable?

Nate

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: energy on 2002-02-06 01:13 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Nate, Exactly...
I have a Gallagher C chanter.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Ditto... Gallagher uses what I'd call a 'generous' narrow bore. Still has the characteristic timbre of a narrow bore, but has a bit of a punch on the bell note. Great chanter, I have a 1/2 C set of his and like it.
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Seth is making some of the finest pipes you can get anywhere, as far as I'm concerned. I played his B set at a Tionol in Chicago and liked it instantly; the chanter had a good singing voice, the drones were terrific, the regulators were solidly built with superb action, and everything was nicely in tune and balanced quite well. A young piper friend of mine grabbed them soon after and you couldn't get him away from them. I could get used to that set very quickly.