Sad news - Dave Williams

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Evertjan 't Hart
antispam: No

Post by Evertjan 't Hart »

From www.uilleann.nl Paul Elliasberg's website. Image
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Thanks for the picture, Danny. I figured Dave to be a an older guy, but he wasn't at all. Much too young to go so soon, so suddenly. Damn!

I started learning on a Dave Williams boxwood chanter that I bought from Brendan Ring... so I know about Dave's work first hand. A beginner's first hand, of course. But my sympathies go out to all the people that knew him and loved him also as a person, (and not just a great pipemaker...) I didn't have that privilage. I knew him only by his reputation, and by my pipe, and I am saddened.

He is a major figure in history of the Uilleann Pipes, that's for sure.

Add: Thanks, Evertjan, good one!
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Terrible sad news about Dave. He was one of those guys I always wished to meet but sadly never had the chance. May he rest in peace.

Patrick.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

I only knew Dave over the phone. He consulted me about staple dimentions for Paddy Keenan's chanter when he got his new set. A few days ago he called again to ask about some cane. I wish I had gotten to meet him in person. He will be sorely missed.

Ted
upiper71

Re: Dave Williams passing.. :(**

Post by upiper71 »

I didn't get the chance ever to meet Dave but heard about him and his quality instruments..very sad news :( Prayers and thoughts go out to him and his family, friends..

upiper71
Montreal
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Yes, terrible news. I was shocked to hear it this morning. May he rest in peace playing in the great session upstairs.
Higezura

from Japan

Post by Higezura »

I was informed the sad news by the piper friend.

"I want to own Dave's pipers"
It is my wish from I started practicing uilleann pipes.....

I was looking forward to being able to meet him and his pipes four years after.

I pray for the bliss of the dead today.

--------------------------------------
My English is very poor.
Since my English is unripe, I regret that a feeling is not conveyed by everybody.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I've just heard that Dave was killed in a car crash. I don't know what to say...Dave was a good man, a wonderful craftsman, a great friend. I'm very sad.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Dave Williams made my D set, but unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet him, and I deeply regret it.
All my thoughts to his family and friends,
Paix à son âme.
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

I now have one of his concert chanter in my hand. I was amazed at the beautiful tone and the superb craftsmanship. Just thiking of asking him to add stopkey.
His soul will always be with our memory and in the crafts he gave birth to this world.
May he rest in peace.

Makoto
Last edited by innerhand on Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mukade

Post by mukade »

A sad loss.

I never met Mr. Williams, but I heard nothing but praise for the man and his
work.

Ar Dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Mukade
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

I am very saddend to hear of Dave's death, my prayers go out for him, his family and friends.

I had the chance to hear one of his chanters in person at the Al Purcell Tionol this month, the sound was exquisite.

Again, condolences to all who knew him.

John O'Gara
buskerSean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

It is some small consolation maybe that his work, which touched and delighted many will live on after he left this world.

Very sad news, Rest In Peace Dave.
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

I may be speaking out of school here, but I believe that when you make something..especially woodworking and most uniquely a set of pipes...that you impart your lasting mark, always knowing the work will live beyond your years. What a gift that God has given us so that we may touch others in this way. I did not know Mr. Williams but have listened to his pipes and have heard that his person and character matched their greatness. I am sure that his spirit will be invoked as the sounds from his pipes live with us.
His family and friends will be in our prayers or if your not the praying type..play an air in his honor!
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

This is the piece about the accident from the Grimsby Telegraph, they have released the name today but it wont be out until tonight.

12:30 - 20 October 2004
A Motorist, believed to be from the Grimsby area, died last night when his car overturned into a Brigsley ditch.

It is believed that the man, who has not been identified, was taking a right-hand bend on Waltham Road when his silver Ford Focus overturned. Police and firefighters from Waltham and Grimsby's Peaks Lane stations along with a rescue unit from Scunthorpe, all attended, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 11.20pm.

A Humberside Police spokeswoman said: "We received a call at 10.45pm from the fire brigade and the ambulance control room, reporting that a single-traffic accident had happened.

"They reported that the driver was trapped.

"Police attended immediately, alongside colleagues from the emergency services, and saw a silver-coloured Ford Focus which appeared to have left the road while it negotiated the right-hand bend. It then overturned into a ditch."

She continued: "The driver was inside the vehicle and appeared to be trapped. Within minutes, he was freed by the fire brigade.

"Sadly, he was pronounced dead at the scene."

A Humberside Fire and Rescue service spokesman confirmed the crews' attendance.

Waltham Road was closed following the accident until 4am, while the scene was investigated and the car removed.

Police officers also carried out a search of the area in case anyone was with the driver in the car.

But the spokeswoman said that officers did not believe there were any passengers in the Ford.

She continued: "We have no details regarding the driver at the moment. We do have a name and identity that we are working on but we have no date of birth.

"We believe the deceased to be local to the Grimsby area and we have made some address checks to trace the family and have had no responses from the addresses that we have checked yet."

Witnesses should contact Grimsby Police on (01472) 359171.

The coroner's office has yet to be informed of the death.