Essential Recordings

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

I'll start by saying that I'm not a piper, but I've been playing Irish music for about 7 months now(mostly on whistle). Only now though am I starting to really build my collection of CDs, and I'm now working on building a well rounded collection and so I'm going ask you all a zinger: What are the essential recordings of Irish piping?

I'll try to clarify what I mean by the essential recordings. What recordings set the standards, are the "definitive" most basic recordings that every piper must have?

The criteria, I think, should be that the recording is true "pure drop"; and it sets the standard for the particular style the piper being recorded is playing in. (If you disagree with the criteria, go ahead and say so!)

For example, Matt Molloy's album on the Green Linnet sets the standard for the so called "piping" flute style. Paddy Carty's "Music of Ireland" sets the standard for East Galway and Clare styles. In both cases the players are the ultimate examples and exponents of their particular playing style.

I already have "The Drones and Chanters," and Jerry O'Sullivans "The Invasion" and "The Gift."

I'd be thankful for any advice I can get!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I'd say chuck the Sullivans in the bin and get Seamus Ennis' Return from Fingal and 'The pipering of Willie Clancy' Jimmy O Brien-Moran, Tommy Reck, Pat Mitchell. Even one by Bill Flynn: Fine art of piping (how's that for pretentious?) or the Fire Aflame, Ronan Browne & Peter O Loughlins' South West Wind, Bunch of keys by Johnny doraN. Maybe a classic Rowsome just for the fun of it and you'll be set up to keep you going for a bit.
even a bit of Tom ennis and Ptsy Touhey for a bit crunchy nuts.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

Okay, I'm going to get all defensive here and say something outrageous: I think that Jerry O'Sullivan does the finest regulator work that I've heard.

And the pipers I've heard include Seamus Ennis, Willie Clancy, Mike Cooney, Tommy Reck, Paddy Maloney, Leo Rowsome, Paddy Keenan, and a few other less well known names.

Alright, I've done it and said something outrageous about something I really don't know anything about. You can all go ahead and correct me if you like.

And by the way, what about some of Paddy Keenans recordings?

Nate