easy uilleann pipe tunes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of some easy uilleann pipe tunes. Also if anyone knows of good websites with tunes on them that would also be appricated :smile:.

thanks!
Caryn

PS Hope everyone's holidays are going well!
meuritt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by meuritt »

March of the King of Laois (AkA March of the High Kings)

Rights of Man

Plains of Boyle

Off to California

Stack of Wheat

Get the pipers tune book from the Irish Pipers Club of Seattle, published by john Walsh. more than 400 tunes of all skill levels, enough to last a lifetime

Mike
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

They are all easy, it mainly depends on level of competence. Of the above mentioned the March of the king of Laois is one of the tunes I was started off on and I still don't think it's an easy tune for a beginner if you want to get it right with the crans at the end of the parts.
Jimmy Wards is one I start pupils off on, an effective little jig which has the big advantage of staying in the first octave altogether. An Ceannabhain Bhana is a good one too, The First Slip, Moll Roe, Coppers and Brass goes well, Saddle the Pony. Slieve Aughty March is great for a bit of fun. Anything that suits you will do I suppose.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Thanks everyone. I know March of the King Laois, on Flute/whistle, so maybe I'll try that on pipes.

Peter, do you know any webpages where I could find the sheet music for some of the tune's you mentioned? I only know Saddle the Pony, out of all those tunes :smile:

Thank again!
caryn
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Henrik Norbeck's collection has a good many tunes for the download:

http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-11382/abc.htm

I am not sure they are all in there.

The Butcher's March is another good jig to have a go at, Lark in the Morning etc etc.

It is probably best though to stick to tunes you already know or tunes you pick up by ear rather than to go for 'sheetmusic'. Written music or worse, music played back over the computer is never a replacement for the real thing unless you know how to interpret the notes like a trad musicianer.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Here's another great site for tunes in midi, gif, abc and loads of other formats. Well worth checking out. Although a bit of quality control would go a long way on this site as far as submitted tunes go. Lot's of duplicate tunes etc.

It's called JC's Tune finder.... didn't know JC played Irish music :wink:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html

Happy New Year Everyone!

Patrick.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One JC is one of our local whistle players and then there's PJ and PD and JP and JJ, don't you love Irish names!

Hi Pats, Happy New Year and thanks for the card, we didn't send any this year as two weeks before xmas the garage bolloxed the car to an extend we could scrap it so instead of preparing for the holidays we had to spend time twisting the Bank manager's arm so we could buy new transport. sh*t!!