Piping CDs

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John Allison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John Allison »

Danny boy, the pipes are calling...unfortunately they are GHB and not Uilleann!!

I'm getting very frustrated with my Uilleann playing and have pretty much come to a dead stop. I have started back to playing my GHB more and more and need help because I don't want to quit the Uilleann.

What are some good trad cds to listen to to get me back in the <i>Irish</i> mood? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

At the moment I am copying the complete Johnny Doran as a christmas present for one of my piping students, makes for good listening and if it doesn't frighten you away altogether you'll stay on the pipes after hearing it. And anything by Ennis.
I prefer good fiddleplaying over pipiung for listening, Bobby Casey or Paddy Canny work for me.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

John,
What style of piping are you looking for ?? Last week I purchased Mick O'Brien's MAY MORNING DEW from Celtic Grooves Imports.
http://www.celticgrooves.com It's a very melodic CD that shows more taste than talent with several nice airs. I love the CD and recommend it.
You can search Celtic Grooves website for piping music by clicking catalog, by instrument/category, Uilleann Pipes.
Call or e-mail Philippe and he will advise you what he has in stock as well as make good recommendations to the style you wish to hear.

Philippe Varlet
Celtic Grooves Imports
Hard-to-find imported Irish CDs
170 Fleetwood Terrace
Silver Spring MD 20910
301-565-0648
philvar@erols.com
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Anything with the name Liam O'Flynn on it! OK, he's been beaten for his "pop" and film score attempts, but his playing is always that of a real master. Very melodic, very tasteful and not too "speedy". I'd also recommend Brian McNamara's CD "A piper's dream". Keep on practising. It's worth it! The pipes are a beast, no doubt. But your persistence will pay off someday.
Happy piping
Christian
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

I've been listening to Jerry O'Sullivan's "The Gift", which runs pretty much the full gambit of musical styles, going from trad. Irish to Cape Breton, to blues, jazz and a rather intricate classical peice right at the end of the CD, which makes me think about just where the pipes may have originated. (There's a topic for discussion, eh?) It sounds like this peice was written specifically for the UPs, but no, sadly, no. I've really appreciated the sounds of the CD, I think O'Sullivan's a great musician, and something in the way he plays suggests he's having an absolute blast while he's doing it. I've been slowly figuring out a couple of the tunes on it because I have found myself whistling them while walking around at work. Highly reccomended. I have Liam O'Flynn's 'Out to an Other Side' as well which I think is great as well, very inspiring.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Get The Drones and the Chanters, it is a compilation cd with all the piping greats on it including the King Leo Rowsome
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I have 'The Pipers Apron' by Tommy Keane playing at the moment and really recommend it. It contains some really hot piping, but at the same time its not intimidating and relaxes the listener as well as being a source of inspiration.

Steve
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

[quote]
On 2001-12-21 06:31, Tony wrote:
Last week I purchased Mick O'Brien's MAY MORNING DEW It's a very melodic CD that shows more taste than talent
[quote]

Find myself greatly puzzled by the 'more taste than talent' bit in that. I can't see what Tony meant there.

Why did nobody come up with Jimmy O Brien Moran? Or Ronan Browne and Peadar O Loughlin's The South West Wind?

You haven't lived without hearing those thoroughly.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Hi Peter... I see you've calmed down a bit in your comments to postings. HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

Firstly, a correction... The Mick O'Brien CD, was 'The Ancient Voice of Ireland'

Don't be puzzled by my 'more taste than talent' statement, I was only making a reference to the type of music that displays more musical taste than showing off raw talent. Don't read into it for some hidden meaning. My best example would be guitarist Eric Clapton, known for his 'screaming hot' guitar licks plays a style of 'laid back' blues that's 'more taste than talent'

I had trouble getting Jimmy O Brien Moran's CD 'Sean Reids Favourite' I'm told it's out of print and no more are available.

Ronan Browne is also another excellent choice.

Peadar O Loughlin's 'The South West Wind' I haven't heard... I guess I'll have to put that on my list. Thanks for mentioning it!!
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

I also have the "Ancient Voice" (as well as "May morning dew") by Mick O'Brien and I think the CD displays more talent than taste. More muzak than music. Well played, though. The new Ronan Browne CD "The wynd you know" is very good as well. Very few dance tunes on it, though (for a good change). By the way, does anyone know of recordings by Maire Ni Gradha?
Happy Christmas
Christian
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2001-12-22 05:53, Tony wrote:
Firstly, a correction... The Mick O'Brien CD, was 'The Ancient Voice of Ireland'
Now that one would display more talent than taste to be honest, yuk [and I mean the choice of repertoire, which was definitely chosen to suit the tourist market, the playing is fine].

May morning dew is nice allthough more a group thing than a piping CD. Lovely pic on the inside of the cover :smile:

South west wind was by Browne AND O Loughlin.

Saw JOBM's in shop recently, possibly Custy's or the Knotted Chord, they both do on-line ordering

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2001-12-22 10:56 ]</font>
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

.......there's no CD substitute for a real live uilleann piper to talk to and to listen to.

Boyd.
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Tony,
Thanks for the web site! It's quite a treasure trove of pipe music!
Tony

Post by Tony »

On 2002-01-28 14:12, Glengary wrote:
Tony,
Thanks for the web site! It's quite a treasure trove of pipe music!
Glad to be of help...
I've got another source of Piping CD's. It's Elderly Instruments. http://www.elderly.com/ They have a good selection and they have really good prices.
So far, I've received:
At First Light, Michael McGoldrick & John McSherry
The Best Of Irish Piping, Seamus Ennis
Pipedreams, Davy Spillane
The Given Note, Liam O'Flynn
A Celtic Peace, Todd Denman

I figure I'll need a few months to digest these before placing a second order.