Shoulder straps ... for or against ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Opinions please...are shoulder straps a useful idea, or just another fashion accessory ?!!
Hands up all you strapping pipers out there !!

Boyd :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boyd on 2001-11-26 20:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boyd on 2001-11-26 20:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boyd on 2001-11-26 20:02 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I wouldn't play without one. The weight of the body of the p[ipes is not pulling the bag, when you raise your left shoulder all regulators are handy within reach.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

It very much depends on the measurements of the pipes and the physiognomy of the piper. While I've seen many pipers doing great without one, I would in no way be able to handle the regs without a shoulder strap (err...to be honest, they give me lots of trouble even with a strap). A half set is usually easily manageable without one.
Christian
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Any tips for making one?

[A friend uses what looks like a nylon sling...the sort of stuff I use for rock-climbing...I've seen a bit of rope used, and a long leather belt...and lots of folks don't use them at all...but I think I'll try one and see if it helps with the regs]

Thanks for any advice !!

Boyd.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I've never seen anyone use a shoulder strap before...is this a new thing in the piper's world, or do i need to crawl out from under the rock I live under? :smile:

Famous players using them too?

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ok, I'm convinced! :wink:

Just never noticed before. Thanks for the heads up Tony!

B~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Brian,
Most traditional full sets have the bass regulator reedcap extended across the drone stock and where it rests on your forearm in a cradled position. I think Gallagher does this fitting slightly different, where the extension isn't needed and the drones and regulators sit more level.
http://www.uilleann.com/images/stainless.jpg
I didn't see the extension in the picture. I'm sure after you get your pipes you'll decide if a strap is needed or not.

Boyd started this topic... and I agree with Christian that we all differ in physical size and not all pipes/bag configurations are the same... therefore not everyone finds this a problem. I know my drones like to slide toward my knee and I'm contemplating attaching the popping strap & drone support to the bellows waist belt... one day perhaps.

I'm thinking an adjustable nylon guitar strap could be fitted instead of a strip of leather. The nylon would probably be more comfortable.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Famous players using them too?

B~
Seamus Ennis and Johnny Doran famous enough?