I got my practice set!!!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Well, I think the title of this thread says it all. This morning I picked my practice set up and spent about two hours getting "fitted" to them. I am right now borrowing a set from my teacher. It's really cool because the person who set me up with the pipes, is reed maker who makes reeds for Paddy Keenan!

~Caryn
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Congratulations, Caryn. May it bring you hours of entertainment and learning.

Slán agus beannachtaí,
Dionys Murphy
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

LKtz wrote:
It's really cool because the person who set me up with the pipes, is reed maker who makes reeds for Paddy Keenan!

~Caryn
Oh ?? he makes reeds for Paddy ?
You know Caryn, you just might want to send me one of those reeds for some long term evaluation...
:wink:
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I am truely serious. The guy's name is Ted Anderson, and Paddy Keenan did an interview and even mention him! Ted's a really great guy and I have to say his reeds are REALLY good. I wish I could send you a sample reed but I only have one reed myself, sooooo I kind of need it.

caryn
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Is that so? Well that is really, really interesting, because I have sat and watched Paddy make reeds for himself, by hand, from scratch, using a penknife. Paddy doesn't need anyone to make reeds for him...Caveat emptor.
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Now I am wondering if I got the name wrong. Becuase I thought Ted said Paddy "something" and I am sure it was Keenan. Oh well. I am only 15 and I have only played Uilleann pipes for two weeks. Well, my bad. I shall have to email him and get the exzact name.

Caryn
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

He may have made a reed or two for Paddy, I could be wrong. Besides, at 15 years of age, you'll be kicking my butt on the pipes in a year or two.... go for it!!!
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Well, I have to say I am not good at the bagpipes at all, but I am having too much fun to stop! I can almost play chanter's tune all the way through without messing up!
Quick Question: I was thinking of asking for the Mad 4 Trad Uilleann Pipe turtor for x-mas. Has anyone ever used it before? And if so what do you think of it?

Caryn