Historic painting of piper at auction

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Historic painting of piper at auction

Post by Cayden »

While I doubt it is within reach of anybody on this forum it is interesting to note that the sale of contents of Lissadell House to take place on the 25th includes the 'very fine 'Limerick Piper' by 19th century Galway artist Joseph Patrick Haverty'. The painting is expected to fetch 40-60K euro. Catalogue of the auction can be had from HOK Fine Arts or Christie's London

I am not sure it is actually the painting below, I thought that particular piper by Haverty was actually in the National Gallery of Ireland

Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

Do they take monopoly cash?
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Do they take monopoly cash?
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

brianc

Post by brianc »

the former childhood home in Co Sligo of Countess Markievicz

Interesting historical connection there!

Stay tuned,

BrianC

PS: I bought a copy (the 40 euro version) of the Haverty painting from the National Gallery - as I recall, their website indicates that the original is indeed on display in the Gallery.

BC
Last edited by brianc on Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Historic painting of piper at auction

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Peter Laban wrote: I am not sure it is actually the painting below, I thought that particular piper by Haverty was actually in the National Gallery of Ireland
I seem to remember reading that he did two or three copies of it, with slight variations between the different executions. Which would be quite appropriate.

Also recall Seán Donnelly saying that the little colleen is thinking "If the oul' fecker plays 'the boy in the gap' one more time, I'll wrap that chanter round his neck". :lol:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
glands

Post by glands »

The family I spent 5 days with in Sligo this past summer lived about 5 mi from Lisadell and had mentioned the potential sale. Honestly, I think the government probably saved the taxpayers a lot of money and headache by passing on the deal. One never knows but I'd bet the couple who made the purchase will do it right when it comes to restoration and appropriate public access. Most of the time, folks who would buy property such as this have a little sense. Who knows, they may one day turn it over to the people of Ireland. Perhaps they will create a foundation to manage the property and a museum of sorts. this is always better than letting modern day government take over.

Would be nice to have that painting though!
Cayden

Humours of Lissadell

Post by Cayden »

The painting sold this afternoon to a private collector for a stunning 240,000 euro.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Hmmm...I've got the postcard. I wonder what that would fetch!
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Is anyone aware of an online source for images (wallpaper etc.) of this or other uilleann paintings?
djm

Post by djm »

Brian, I grabbed a copy of the image in Peter's post, but a web search turned up nothing. This is a bit surprising to me, considering the number of prints of this painting I've see in people's houses. I'll have to find where they got them from. Possibly a one-time thing that is no longer offered. Where's NPU when you want them? :wink:

djm
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Seriously!

I've seen several prints of this hanging in homes, and shops around Utah and surrounding states, though never asked where they got them. I'd just like one for the computer desktop even.....oh well.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I have a few images of pipers in art throughout the diary secion of my site. Scroll down to the lighter section just under the Patsy Touhey links on this page for The Blind Piper:
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_2001.html

Also, try using the search field on my site. It's quite effective for tracking down information.

Patrick.
brianc

Post by brianc »

djm:

When I ordered my copy of the painting (it's actually a print of the painting that they put on canvas, but it's fairly realistic looking), it wasn't shown on the National Gallery's website at all.

I sent an e-mail to them enquiring about it, and they said that they had it in stock, but there wasn't room on the website for all that they had available.

SO - drop an e-mail to them, they may still have it...

Here's their address: bookshop@ngi.ie

Good luck!
BrianC