Dream Case - *Now with pin-up PHOTOS!*

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mypipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mypipes »

Has anyone experience with fitting a full set in one of these cases for bagpipes??? It looks a bit tight but I really like the case.
check out
http://www.bagpipes-henderson.com/detai ... ct_ID=2729
8)
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Looks like with a case such as this, you'd have just barely over 26" diagonally to play with at best...probably less due to padding. How short do your drones/regs break down? You could probably *make* them all fit, but I would wonder about how much disassembly/reassembly would be involved each time.

For me, I love that: "I want to be James Bond when I grow up!" metal attaché look! :lol:

Bri~

"Is it a bomb, or only uilleann pipes? Does it at least come with a high powered laser wristwatch?"
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

Yeah thats why I asked because they dont give the inside dimension and I am at 26" with a disassembled bass drone. So it looks like a near squeeze. I call em and get the inside dims. But its a nice case I figure someone here has one?
djm

Post by djm »

I followed your links. Nice gun cases. However, the measurements show that their internal depth is only 4 - 4.5" deep. This is not enough for a full set with regs plus any foam padding. You will also have problems closing this over the outlet tube on most bellows. I haven't found a gun case yet that has sufficient depth to address these problems.

djm
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Meir and others,

Quick proceedural question:

Do you always take your blowpipe out at the bag or at the bellows or do you have a split design that allows you to take it apart in the misddle? On my Daye set, it's a solid tube all the way from bellows to bag, and I usually take it out at the bellows as it lays flat at the bag connection. If I left it in the bellows, it would stick up about 8-10 inches and wouldn't fit into many cases I've ever seen.

And how much height do regs add to an average set above the drones?
djm

Post by djm »

Brian, regs can add nearly 2" to the height. It depends on how much foam you have and whether you are concerned that closing the lid will put pressure on the keys (I am).

I take the hose off at the bellows, too. It would not make any sense to do it the other way. Some people get a case that will only accommodate the pipes, and carry their bellows separately - just another option.

djm
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

4" is plenty of height for regs, etc. People prefer a foam fit so that they do not move around too much. Many people have been using the breakdown shotgun case for 15 years or so. Highly recommended.

Essential for a pipe case: protective bag for the chanter; take off the baritone drone slide; take off the bass drone slide. Find a way to protect the drone slides (foam or bag).

The old timers had cases the size of steamer trunks. Some are still in use! So, it depends on your usage. The double breakdown cases go easily in the overhead compartment of jet aircraft. The cases are extremely sturdy too. The one Samsonite case is lightweight and less sturdy than the other cases.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Previous case discussions:
This one has dimensions and pictures:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... f6718af4c0

Several case manufacturers links here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... f6718af4c0
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Just a quick thought, upon looking back at several of these past threads, I've given some thought to how the best way is to travel with the pipes. I seem to faintly remember someone mentioning a document that legaly bound the airlines to allow you to carry on your pipes with you. I think you could download it and print it off to show at the check-in desk and gate if they gave you any flak over it.

Was that on this board does anyone remember??

Bri~
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

There is nervousness every time one travels with pipes. A normal sized pipe case (34" x 12" x 4") is too large for the carry-on profile checker (the one that says your carryon must fit in to this). The good news, if one gets by the gate, the case will easily fit into the overhead.

One more challenge is that, after I have convinced Aer Lingus about the pipe case, they often will not allow any other carryon. So, I've had to pack my Nikon into my pipe case and put the rest in a suitcase.

A letter is nice to have with but who will read it to the security checker? And explain the big words to them?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So for those who have done a lot of flying with their pipes, do you tend to have a lot of trouble as a general rule? Does it depend on the airline? International travel vs. domestic???

In looking at the letter to the Federations of Musicians and it looks like a confirmation only. Has there been a section of US code written or something that is irrefutable as proof of this allowance for musicians that could be referenced?

Any piping lawyers present? :)
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Any piping lawyers present?
I am sure theres a few. I know for a fact that there are rather a lot, too many for my taste who gravitate towards GHB's... The Dunsire forum is chock full of threads about carry ons, and encounters with 'Father Land Security'.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

While lawyers and papers might help, it is local jurisdiction that rules, ie the people at the counter, security, gate, etc. Aer Lingus has been great over the years.

The same goes for Customs issues. People and materials get jammed in disputes all the time. People have been denied entry to the US, etc. I think the score is something like CUSTOMS 150,999 and CITIZENS 1. By the way, there is no more fun that showing off a newly acquired set of pipes to a US Customs agent on entry to the US!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

So is this federaly mandated allowance completely null and void at the gate - just depending on what type of day the guard is having? Sounds a bit like 'Dukes of Hazzard' law to me. I'll see if I can't do a bit more digging on this and get back to everyone with somemore facts.

B~