Gallagher pipes wait period

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ailin
antispam: No

Gallagher pipes wait period

Post by Ailin »

For those thinking of getting some pipes, Seth Gallagher has just recently placed on his website, uilleann.com, notice that the estimated wait for practice sets is only 6 months. In the ordering info section it says all sets are a wait of 6 months (I'm guessing it may only have meant to say practice sets, so check with him). I will be checking with him as well to see if this means my drones will be coming 1 year sooner than expected, so I will let the board know if the wait only applies to practice or all sets.
Ailin
meir
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meir »

i recently spoke to seth about this. in fact, as i have posted gleefully many times, i recently picked up my half set. well, i already had a bellows (dow) and a bag (macharg) but i picked up my chanter and drones.

for some time he has been ramping up production, and now the wait time on all sets is about 6 months. so if you ordered your drones more than a few months ago, they will be ready soon.

i saw his shop and it is beautiful. enjoy the drones

meir
mconners

me, too

Post by mconners »

I, too have noted Gallagher's wait time is very reasonbable.

I am in the process of proposing a new half set to the wife, although I don't think she'll appreciate the wait list being as short as it is.

I would sell my current Roberts half set to pick up a Gallagher full set to help offset the costs.

Just thinkin'...

All the best.
mconners

Post by mconners »

Err... should be Gallagher HALF set. I'd love to get a full set but that will have to be later.
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Seth has indeed confirmed that it is now only a 6 month wait for all kinds of sets. Now if I can just come up with the rest of the money I need for my drones..............
meir

Post by meir »

if $$$ is a problem why not do one drone at a time? start with the bass, it has a particularly cool sound :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

Meir, the drones have to be balanced to each other and to the chanter. They have to be built together. I doubt any maker would go through the whole exercise of building a set of drones, and then only selling them to you one at a time as you can afford them.

Or were you kidding? ... :-?

djm
meir

Post by meir »

the laughing face says it all

meir
Royce

Post by Royce »

djm wrote:Meir, the drones have to be balanced to each other and to the chanter. They have to be built together.
djm
That may be true of arts and crafts pipe makers who can't replicate parts accurately enough to insure they're interchangeable. Seth Gallagher isn't one of those. Assuming he agreed to the practice, there wouldn't be any problem at all building one drone at a time and having them "match" in the way you suggest is impossible.

Royce

(A feat made possible by the efforts of Fredrick Remington and Henry Ford many years ago.)