Tommy Peoples's new cd

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
goatpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tommy Peoples's new cd

Post by goatpiper »

I just got this recently, and it's smokin'. There's a fair amount of original tunes on it, and a couple sound like they'd go really well on the pipes. I haven't tried to do it yet, but I will be.
I've always liked to say that Tommy is very much the piper's fiddler...his playing is just...
well, words fail me, which is highly unusual. :D Check it out. The label is Shanachie.

Cheers,
Aaron Welsh
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Unfortunately his website listed above doesn't have the new album on there. The Quiet Glen is his album released about 5 of 6 years ago. This new album has Sean Potts playing piipes on it here's a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... nnpipesobs

Ciao,

PD.
kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenr »

There was a rumour in the mid 80s when the Iron Man LP was released that Tommy had another due within months. Needless to say it never appeared. Tommy was seriously ripped off by just about every record company he's come into contact with so maybe he wasn't that bothered whether it came out or not. He's just too nice a man to drive a hard bargain. Since his move to Boston, he has been performing a lot more and maybe somebody saw the chance to put that older record out once they had a few extra tracks to pull it up to the current "standard length of a CD" (ie - more than 35 minutes)

As Patrick said the Quiet Glen is available on Tommy's website and it is a masterpiece. Recorded at home and Tommy spent many an evening packing and addressing CDs to send out to meet the orders. If you don't own this CD you should be ashamed of yourself!!

Anyhow, this "new" CD contains some excellent playing but the production values are appalling. You don't even got told which tracks are old and which are new, you just have to work it out for yourself. Nothing about the tunes etc, in fact it is typical of a Shanachie production.

I just hope Tommy is getting a fair cut of the profits this time.

Ken