hearplug

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pipemaniac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

hearplug

Post by pipemaniac »

just a litle message to say that i have finnaly bought professional hearplug, it is made with a cast of your ears so it is perfectly ajust. It cut all the frequence from 15db, so you don't have the sound that you obtain with the foam hearplug, with no high and mid high.
i realy recommand professional hearplug, it is a 150$ well invested
pipemaniac

Post by pipemaniac »

scuse me, i mean..it cut all the frequence of 15 db
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

Hi Pipemaniac,

Is the earplug something like this?

http://www.pep-earplugs.co.uk/index.htm
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
pipemaniac

Post by pipemaniac »

almost, there is a hole in mine that let go the sound trought the hearplug.
At the tip of the hole, there is a litle filter, you can have a 15 db or a 25 db filter. that filter make all the difference. i mean a very big difference!!!! :o

it is a french site but you can see it, it is the sixth pictures it is call(Bouchon antibruit" MUSICIEN " sur mesure. )

http://salon-tango.com/audiolab/professionnelcadre.htm
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

That looks like a very practical product, Pipemaniac. I was able to translate the page (because my french language skills are limited :) )

I was listening to an article on CBC a few days ago that mentioned the industry of classical musicians suffers (overwhelmingly) the greatest percentage of significant hearing loss than every other group of musicians. In fact, there is far greater hearing loss by musicians of classical music as compared to rock musicians because of the length of time spent in practice (8-10 hours / day) and performance. Rock musicians play for a considerably shorter length of time and then take extended breaks (apparently). I'm not certain as to the standing in comparison to other industries (steelworkers, labourers, etc..).

I've seen it written here before - once you've lost your hearing you can't get it back. Give us your reviewof the ear plugs!

Thanks,

PR
PR

\\
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

dopple post
PR

\\
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

what??? :D
pipemaniac

Post by pipemaniac »

i dint'n realy loose my hearing, my hear become sensible to the sound, it happen because this winter i played with my penny wistle and my uillean pipe like two or tree hours a day and i alway play in a litle room. When i was playing i notice i litle sound in my hear or a stress. this sound happen when i played in the second octave of both instrument, so the two or tree week after my hear was sensible to every sound a litle bit louder than normal. Sound like dishes knoking togeter, people laughting etc. i was not able to play even mandolin without puting foam hearplug. I pass a audiogam and it said that i hurt my hear only a litle bit and only in the high ferquence they call my hear loss the noch filter i think, my situation is stable, if i well protect my hear when i play i'm not suppose to have any other hear loss. So now every things is almost ok, the only thing that make me suffer that's my uillean pipe and the wistle but only in a small room or when i go to a show or in a bar but the sound must be loud.
I buy my hear plug a week ago and i'm still happy with that, the particularity of that plug is that the filter don't cut all the high and the mid high frequence like all everery other hearplug, it cut 15 db of all the frequence so it just like droping the volume. the only thing that make you know that you have hearplug is that your hear your voice a litle more than every thing but that not a big deal. i recomand that hearplug to every musicians that already wear plug or every musician that want to have good hears in 20 or 40 years. If somebody is interesting go to your local audioprothesist they make that can of hearplug.
i hope my message is clear, i know my english is a litle bit bad but believe me i do my best
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Hi PM,

Your English is good enough to make sense. I appreciate your effort! This seems like it is a very useful product, and I must admit that I have that same kind of mild distortion in my right ear - something I should probably be more careful about.

Thanks!

PR
PR

\\
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I didnt even think it would be much of a problem over in this end of the Piping world..

The ones that I know about are made by Etymonic (sp?) Research. They call them "musicians Earplugs". Not often heard about are the 6Db filters. Which personaly is where I would start at, 15 seems a bit much. I often use Sonic II 7db plugs, and it is plenty for what I am doing. I think that the louder a sound gets, the more these plugs filter out. They just start out at 6, 15 or 30DB as the opening ante.

After Musicians Plugs, the next rung up the ladder is In Ear Monitors. Also made by the same place. Nearly every professional in the music biz, wears these things on stage now.

Any Hearing Center / hearing Doctor can fit you for these. Even the hearing center at Walmart..