Appropriate negative posts: A tutorial

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Appropriate negative posts: A tutorial

Post by Dale »

Ok. So, today it occurred to me that there might be a way to establish a guideline about negative posts that had not occurred before. Controversies about negative posting have occurred on other C&F boards. I have been accused of not liking negative posts. This is untrue. I really do think it is a good service for people to share a range of positive and negative opinions and positive and negative experiences with various products. Here are some examples:

Acceptable post: "I had difficulties with Maker X. He promised delivery in two months and, when I did not receive the product in four months, he did not respond to three emails...(etc.). When I got the product, I felt it was not suitable for me. The doo-hickey key was out of alignment and the walls were too thin, etc."

Perfectly acceptable. It give details. It is not second hand. It is not vague. And, this is critical: it allows a discerning reader to decide for herself whether she would consider these to be things SHE would regard as a problem. She might not be bothered by late shipments. She might like her doo-hickey key out of line. She might like thin walls, etc.

Unacceptable post: "I've heard bad things about Maker X."

It is vague, 2nd hand, and useless to the reader. It might lead people, unnecessarily and unfairly, to avoid Maker X. In the absence of information, people tend to assume the worse.

Unacceptable post: "I've had problems with this maker and I'm not prepared to go into details."

Then, respectfully, don't post. It's unfair. It creates a negative impression which is wholly without support.

Acceptable post: "McFadden's whistles require too much air for my taste, and the materials are a bit too inexpensive."

It's an opinion. It's free speech. It gives the reader some information.

Unacceptable post: "McFadden's whistles are crap."

Ill-mannered, unfounded, unsupported, provocative and useless to the reader.

Does this help?
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Yes.

Does this mean you're not going to shut down the Uilleann Pipe Forum?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tony wrote:Yes.

Does this mean you're not going to shut down the Uilleann message board?
Not tonight!

I have to assure you guys that I don't raise the issue of shutting down this board to get everyone to write me and beg and tell me how good it is to have the board. (Although it is nice to be reminded that the tone of the board, which I've said I don't read, is 90-something percent positive). I write to remind everyone that this is JUST NOT THE PLACE to air disputes between consumer & supplier.

Dale
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Dale, this forum is the first thing I look at every morning when I get up, and the last thing I visit before going to bed... I have weird hours! But for me it is closer to 99% positive, and I've met some great people here, and learned much. This forum especially is a truly great resource, and we all love you! So thanks a million.
tok

Post by tok »

I think so too . ,,, tom
tok .
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Those guidelines are spot on Dale.Lets hope that people can stick to them.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."