This Board

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

This Board

Post by Dale »

I don't mean to be unfriendly or provocative. But, would someone please explain to me why I shouldn't just shut this uilleann pipe forum down? Considering especially the relatively low number of posts, it is the source of most trouble among the C&F forums, frankly. I don't read it because I don't own or play pipes. It is extended as a courtesy, at the request of pipers, and yet I get to sit around and speculate about whether I could be liable for remarks made. I support the right of people to express negative opinions but not to make explicit or thinly veiled legal threats. I'd also be really pleased if people would not be so damned thin-skinned.
It would be really nice if people who are having problems with each other-over a business transactions would get on the telephone with each other and work it out, rather than airing it or hinting at it or whatever the hell is going on on this forum with it. So, back to the original question. Could someone please explain to me why this ought to be left up?

Sorry--but I AM a bit irritated and I'm entitled.

Dale
Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: This Board

Post by Pat Cannady »

DaleWisely wrote:I don't mean to be unfriendly or provocative. But, would someone please explain to me why I shouldn't just shut this uilleann pipe forum down? Considering especially the relatively low number of posts, it is the source of most trouble among the C&F forums, frankly. I don't read it because I don't own or play pipes. It is extended as a courtesy, at the request of pipers, and yet I get to sit around and speculate about whether I could be liable for remarks made. I support the right of people to express negative opinions but not to make explicit or thinly veiled legal threats. I'd also be really pleased if people would not be so damned thin-skinned.
It would be really nice if people who are having problems with each other-over a business transactions would get on the telephone with each other and work it out, rather than airing it or hinting at it or whatever the hell is going on on this forum with it. So, back to the original question. Could someone please explain to me why this ought to be left up?

Sorry--but I AM a bit irritated and I'm entitled.

Dale
Sorry to hear it, Dale. I'm a bit irritated by the goings-on between certain posters, too, and wish they would take it offline, it has no place on this board.

On the plus side, I quite enjoy this board, I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Well said, Pat.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Hi Dale,

This kind of behaviour is human and let's admit we are all flawed in some respect. Although I agree with your sentiments on bickering factions, I can support, and reassure you that this is a very beneficial forum 95% of the time.

Pipes are not unlike whistles in regards to quality and preference in makers, but they are definitely a unique instrument in their own right.

Pipes are sensitive to climate, they are difficult to play properly, some of the community is unique in its' neo-rennaissance character (learning like there's no tomorrow), some of the community has decades of rare experience which warrant respect. It's in the spirit of activity and progress that there are arguments and bantering. It is possible that disagreements may also develop from misunderstanding by use of a form of communication that lacks visual expression and assumes you know local slang/terms that may not be familiar. To me it's ironic that communication can invite confusion and miscommunication. I think most arguements on the board start out as small misunderstandings and uncorrected, get carried away. I might be wrong but it's an observation.

This board is important for the progress of piping, believe it or not. I have learned a great deal of technical, and social information. It has been a great resource many times and I find that I search the archives once in a while to get some valuable information. Beyond the perceived pettiness of moments, you should be quite proud of the community you have developed (not sure if you knew what you were getting into). You may not feel it from this particular board all the time, but I implore you to keep it alive. I invite your comments.

Cheers,
PR[/i][/b]
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
meir

Post by meir »

dale, i appreciate your concerns. no one but you can decide regarding your own liability. as a beginner, i have learned a tremendous amount from this forum- there is nothing else like it out there. there are a few people who like to argue but we all understand that most of us are nice people who share a very complex hobby. we would all be poorer without this forum of exchange.

meir
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

One more thought.

I access a local forum group that is within my neighbourhood and about my neighbourhood. the forum started a couple of years ago when nobody had grass in their backyards, mailboxes weren't set up yet, the roads needed paving, tress hadn't been planted, and on and on. There were many frustrations that would be worked out in time, that unfortunately were hastily complained upon in the forum and it started dramatic arguements and board fights that were undeniably dispicable, mean and ridiculous.

-- The board was shut down --

-- It was a good idea. --

The forum came back a few months ago with explicit mention of limited tolerance. The arguing commenced once more and the moderator locked the topics if he thought in his opinion that it was controversial or inappropriate. The guy is denying people freedom of their words. The "Don't like it? Then leave" attitude is unnerving and extreme but the board is far more civil now - the nasties have found somewhere else to unleash their fury, since they can't have their comments posted, it's pointless to continue. This all seems like a lot of work in my opinion, you obviously can't make a career of this, Dale. I'm not suggesting anything, just giving you some insight to a parallel universe.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Davey

Delegate...

Post by Davey »

...Dale needs minions! :)
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Delegate...

Post by Pat Cannady »

Davey wrote:...Dale needs minions! :)
Good idea.

Kevin-you're one of the most knowledgeable people on the board. Don't you dare stop posting because of this nonsense :)
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

Dale,
I believe that you will find that most of the posts here are indeed civilized as well as informative. There have been a few bickering and/or
"take it off the board" type of posts, but I don't believe it to be any more so than the whistle board. In fact I've lost a lot of interest in the whistle board due to the high number of OT posts and the flame wars that arise there now and then. If you want to shut the uilleann board down that is your choice. A minority of questionable posts shouldn't cause the demise of the board and ruin it for the majority. Again, it is your choice to shut it down, but maybe you should have a bit a of cool down period and, better yet, take a look at the bulk of the posts on this board, and I know you will find that it is worth keeping.
Ailin
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Hum, seems I missed something here? What's the problem? I haven't read anything recently that suggests a problem with this board?? What gives?
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Dale

If you shut the piper's forum down, I will miss it,

but I won't miss the sort of stuff that has been irritating you

so I think it might be the best action open to you.

This is not the first time you've found yourself in this situation [veiled legal threats etc]. It isn't worth the hassle.

Boyd

[heading off home to Ireland tonight....yeehaa]
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Elbogo
I think there's been some [legal threats/false ID/customer or maker dissatisfaction] stuff happening in the background again, so maybe not coming to everyone's attention....although Dale will have been getting his fill of it, I would guess.

Thankfully, I don't know the details.....and don't really want to.

Boyd
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

No, it is definitely not in anyone's interests to shut down this board, even if one or twp people can't seem to get along. Misunderstandings are a part of life, I think, at least I have found this to be true... and even quite common. But, I think this board has overall proved itself to be quite cultured and well-behaved, considering the passion for it's subject... and, ah, differences in personality.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dale, I really hope you don't have to shut the board because although The UP has gained popularity lately, it is still a fairly obscure instrument. There are a lot of us who depend on this forum for information and advice. Especially us beginners. It really has become a very important resource.

Thank you once again for your and Rich's kindness and all the work that put into these forums.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.