Ronan Browne

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
sammyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ronan Browne

Post by sammyd »

Does anyone know whether Ronan Browne has any solo CD's. I've got the CD "The South West Wind" (FANTASTIC CD!), but I was wandering if he has a solo CD at all?
Thanks

Samuel
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

"The Wynd You Know" with Kevin Glacklin and Triona Ni Dhomhnaill.

"Touch Me If You Dare" is fairly recent and just as good as "The SouthWest Wind in my opinion.

Ronan also plays with the group, Cran which has a couple of recordings out.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Samuel,
Ronan Browne has a marvelous solo album called 'The Wynd you know' on Claddagh records (CC64CD).
It's mainly solo playing on concert pitch pipes,but he also plays a little flute and Indian Bansuri.He is joined on a couple of tracks by Kevin Glackin on Fiddle,and Triona Ni Dhomhnaill on Harmonium.
It's also worth mentioning that his solo Playing is featured on the album 'The Drones and the Chanters vol. 2' (a fine collection of solo pipers,inc Liam O'Flynn,Sean Potts,Robbie Hannan etc.) He contributes a stunning version of 'Port na bPucai'.
Finally,if you enjoy 'The Southwest wind' (which I agree IS a fantastic album!),you will love the follow up album 'Touch me if you dare' (Claddagh CCF35D).
Buy them all- You won't be dissappionted! :)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
john

Post by john »

there's also a recording made with kevin glackin and sean tyrell, although i've not come across this for sale
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There's recording with Kevin Glackin which was released in a German folkfestival series which can only be had in Europe. He did loads of things, aside from being the original piper in Riverdance, he was with Afro Celt for a while, all sorts of bits on other people's CDs, Sinead Logan, Sean Tyrell and heaps more, track on the fundraising CD for the Irish Seedsavers association[they have a website which you can look up, I don't have things handy here]. And there's a Cd aimed at the tourists with loads of airs on it, of the Carrickfergus variety.
john

Post by john »

And there's a Cd aimed at the tourists with loads of airs on it, of the Carrickfergus variety.

that's Celtic Moods - available at Woolworths
sammyd

Post by sammyd »

Thanks all for your input! Does anyone know how I can go about getting any of these recordings?

Samuel
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

$

£

Take your choice
sammyd

Post by sammyd »

I mean, where can I order them from the internet?
djm

Post by djm »

Ronan has three albums of note:
"Touch Me if You Dare", "The Wynd You Know", "The South West Wind".

He plays the dance set "The Ginnie Ling" on NPU's fourth Music for the Sets album, "Call the Tune".

He is also on the sound track for the film, "The Secret of Roan Inish".

You can catch a glimpse of the man himself in the film, "Agnes Brown", where Angelica Houston's character briefly waves to a bunch of street musicians in the market place. The UPer who waves back to her is Ronan.

All are available at the web sites mentioned in a previous posting. Here are a couple more good links:
http://www.ossianusa.com/
http://www.andysfronthall.com/

Enjoy,

djm
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Anyone notice a similiar phrasing, or melody, that can be found in both "Paddy's Rambles through the Park" and The Lament for the Wild Geese" on Ronan's the wynd you know CD?

Very nice melody... Aside from this being a really excellent CD overall.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Ronan's performance of "Lament for the Wild Geese" is just plain heartbreaking.

I can hardly listen to it sometimes because of its plaintiveness.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I just listened again to 'Paddy's rambles' and 'The Wild Geese'- lovely,lovely stuff! That chanter work is just so plaintive,and the reg playing is sublime.
Excuse my ignorance,but who built the concert pitch pipes that Ronan plays to such good effect on 'The wynd you know' ?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
kenr

Post by kenr »

Ronan's concert pitch pipes were made by Johnny Bourke. Ronan made the chanter himself when he was working with Peter Kennedy. It's usually covered in tape but is almost always dead on in tune.

Ken