The Review - Mícheál Ó hAlmhain on Leo Rowsome

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

The Review - Mícheál Ó hAlmhain on Leo Rowsome

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Have you received your Review yet?

It's a good one! There are loads of great articles of interest. One that I feel needs discussion if only for the sake of deifying a piper is the interview with Mícheál Ó hAlmhain by Kynch O'Kaine. The fact that he reminded people of how Leo Rowsome didn't receive his due when he was alive, is very sad. When he states that Leo's style was sloppy is a huge mistake though... he was a great piper, whether you liked his playing or not, Mícheál goes on to say that quite adamantly throughout the interview. Perhaps a lot of Leo's finger work was drowned out by his regulator playing or he replaced what he was doing on the chanter with a few regulator chards thus leading to this observation?

I don't want to give the impression that I'm slating Mícheál, he praises Leo very well in the article, maybe he was being sarcastic and was saying it as the opinion of NPU at the time.

At any rate, it's a great "Review"... keep it up everyone involved!

Patrick.
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Review

Post by No E »

Greetings,

For those of you scratching your heads and saying "what Review," Patrick is refering to "The Pipers Review - Iris na bPiobairi," the quarterly publication of the Irish Pipers Club (Seattle). If you don't subscribe, your're missing out on what has become the uilleann piping world's premier periodical, so go sign up right now!

http://www.irishpipersclub.org

Go on, now!

Larry Dunn

PS- no, I don't get any comission on subscriptions, and neither does anyone else!
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

I was going to look for Kynch O'Kaine's e-mail address to compliment him on a great interview so I'll do it here since the subject has been raised. He really let the interview flow and, like a really good interviewer, he got out of the way and let the man talk. Interesting insights from a piper who was there during the early NPU years.
tok

Post by tok »

delete. :)
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I haven't seen Kynch post here. I wonder if he lurks?

Pipey, check your PM's
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Tony wrote:I haven't seen Kynch post here. I wonder if he lurks?
Yeah, he should post here. I'll try to encourage him to do that, he's a terrific guy and a good piper.