P. Keenan's cuts

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j dasinger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

P. Keenan's cuts

Post by j dasinger »

Hi all,
For those with sharp ears... On the Bothy Band album "After Hours", track 2 "The Butterfly". Could someone tell me if, on the initial B's, P.K. is playing a short roll (C#BAB) or just the "tap" (BAB). Thanks all.
J.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

J....I don't have the "After Hours" album, but it's probably the same as the first Bothy album. On that cut of The Butterfly, when Paddy breaks out with a solo, It sounds like he's cranning the B with a D (thumb note), a grace note on G (from the A), and cranning the F# with an A. So the tune would start out in the 1st part with d'B E a'G E a'F#.

And that's the way I played it too.

On the 3rd part, where it would be easy to ornament the B, instead, he seems to slide into the B from the A by sliding the finger off slightly.

On the 3rd part, I do cran the B with the D, and roll the B occasionally.
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Lorenzo,
I listened to the track on the first album. My ears agree with what you are hearing. His version here is less ornamented than on the live version. But about the 2nd or third repeat, I'm hearing what sounds to me like a roll consisting of a d cut and A tap on B. Actually, now that you pointed out that he's usually cutting the B with d instead of c#, I think I'll do the roll that way as it's a bit easier than trying to do it with a c# as I was originally. I think thats probably how P.K. was doing it and I just didn't hear it the first time. Thanks for the help.
J.

PS He does alot of heavy ornamenting of that B in the third part on the live version, as well as the slide. Sounds like a long roll and a short roll in succession, so there's a 5 note sound.