Using Vibrato

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using Vibrato

Post by Pipey »

With only eight weeks under my belt my question might be regarded as a bit premature (trying to avoid being "Orbised" here) but are there any groundrules on using vibrato? Is it just a common sense thing where under or over use should be avoided? Should you avoid it on the shorter notes? Just looking ahead. Regards to all. Thanks
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hello Pipey..purely a matter of taste,more effective on the long notes.I find that little has more effect than lots.By that I mean if you put it in here and there in a piece then it stands out and makes the ears pick up and has a pleasing effect..on the other hand if it is used a lot then it kind of takes over and becomes monotonous,the same is true of all ornamentation in my books.Anyways enjoy yer pipering
Slan go foill
Liam :party:
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Pipey,

I agree with Uillian -- it fits well with the slower tunes. It will be a while until you can incorporate them into the faster songs.

To get a clean vibrato, I do a full scale (very slowly) doing three- and four- touch vibrato's. These are for the faster songs. A lot of fiddlers and pipers tend to start a vibrato quickly on the note and slowly diminish it. Nice touch to finish a song.

Cheers,

Virgil
tok

Post by tok »

I did a masters class with liam o flynn. he was saying that when you come up to a chance for a vabratto , in a piece , play it , and then stop it ,
as you go to the next phrase . In other words , dont let the embellishment
become the tune . I think this attudde is best seen in slow air playing , and the habit will cary over to the other , faster tunes .
tok. the style allways ends the vabbrato ,, not on a rest per say ,, but before the next phrase , and is then heard as an embellishment of the phrase just done . The player focuses again on the base of the tune ,, or slow air ,, and the process repeates itself ,, till the tune is done . I think this is a good way of giving meaning to the tunes .
Tom . :) .
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Many thanks for the informed advice. Best regards.