Scoil Acla

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Scoil Acla

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Hi all,

As it appears that I will actually have those two seldom-obtained variables known as "time" and "money" this Summer (a first for me), I`m itching to go and blow it all in Ireland and perhaps learn something to boot. Unfortunately, I won`t be able to make it to Willie Week, but I am a bit curious about Scoil Acla. Looks like some good tutors will be there (Robbie Hannan on pipes and Paul McGrattan on flute). I`m assuming a few of you out there have been there. What did you think? How were the classes? Were there advanced classes offered, or was it pretty basic? I make no claims of having attained virtuosity, but I am comfortable with all the ornamentation and stuff and would be more interested in classes that dealt with things like alternate fingerings/ornamentation and repertoire building (ie--learning a bunch of smokin` tunes). So what do y`all think? Is it worth it or should I just buy a bunch of beer instead and spend my time off in a drunken stupor? Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
Pat Cannady

Re: Scoil Acla

Post by Pat Cannady »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Hi all,

As it appears that I will actually have those two seldom-obtained variables known as "time" and "money" this Summer (a first for me), I`m itching to go and blow it all in Ireland and perhaps learn something to boot. Unfortunately, I won`t be able to make it to Willie Week, but I am a bit curious about Scoil Acla. Looks like some good tutors will be there (Robbie Hannan on pipes and Paul McGrattan on flute). I`m assuming a few of you out there have been there. What did you think? How were the classes? Were there advanced classes offered, or was it pretty basic? I make no claims of having attained virtuosity, but I am comfortable with all the ornamentation and stuff and would be more interested in classes that dealt with things like alternate fingerings/ornamentation and repertoire building (ie--learning a bunch of smokin` tunes). So what do y`all think? Is it worth it or should I just buy a bunch of beer instead and spend my time off in a drunken stupor? Any info/opinions would be appreciated.
Go to scoil acla and study with Robbie Hannan. Record him. Do at least twice as much listening as you do playing. You won't regret it.

Pat
Dionys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dionys »

If you have a video camera, ask if it's okay to videotape. The sound quality is excellent (if you use a good mic) and you get to watch how the performer works. Be sure to soak in the culture as well as attend classes. Ireland's simply beautiful.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

Last edited by Kevin Popejoy on Mon May 10, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Kevin Popejoy wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:
Go to scoil acla and study with Robbie Hannan. Record him. Do at least twice as much listening as you do playing. You won't regret it.

Pat
Be sure to get slow down software. Very handy for slowing down Robbie's speech so you can understand him. :o

Kevin
HAHAHAHAHAh!!!!!!! :lol:
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

.....I'm not so sure that he was joking :o

B