Proper Tempo for Dance Tunes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Proper Tempo for Dance Tunes

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Do you know the proper tempo for a hop jig (and all other types of Irish traditional dance tunes) ? I know it’s 9/8, but how many beats per minute should a quarter note be? I’m asking because I’m transcribing a tune (“The Silver Slipper”) in Sibelius and downloading it from The Session renders it: quarter note/crotchet = 120, but that’s way too slow.

I am under the impression that the quarter note/crotchet is the basic unit in this regard, but may be wrong — maybe it’s an eighth note/quaver, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Re: Proper Tempo for Dance Tunes

Post by stringbed »

Dance tunes written in 9/8 normally have three beats per measure, placed on the dotted quarter note/crochet.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It's three beats to the bar. Hop jigs are probably around there, but dotted quarter notes per minute, not just one regular quarter note per minute.

That said, I think 120 is a bit fast. Probably somewhere between 100 and 120 would work, leaning closer to 100 for learning, for sure.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

NicoMoreno wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:49 am It's three beats to the bar. Hop jigs are probably around there, but dotted quarter notes per minute, not just one regular quarter note per minute.

That said, I think 120 is a bit fast. Probably somewhere between 100 and 120 would work, leaning closer to 100 for learning, for sure.
Thanks. I’ll gradually change the setting to dotted quarter note (dotted crochet) = 100 - 120 and see how this sounds on the playback feature.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

…I just realized that I should have referred to this as dance speed (this was not an easy question for me to formulate) :-?
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

The main thing about slip jigs is that there's one heavy then two light beats, three times each bar. The beats are fast, so you'd only tap your foot three times per bar.

The actual count per minute count can vary, depending on whether it's being played for dancers or not, by skilled players or not, and what the individual tune is. It almost feels a shame to rush through some of them, but others sound great with a faster pulse.

Outside of step dancing, there isn't really a definitive 'right' speed. It's more that there are conventions among groups of players.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thank you so much!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Moof wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:48 pm The main thing about slip jigs is that there's one heavy then two light beats, three times each bar. The beats are fast, so you'd only tap your foot three times per bar.
Just wanted to point out that Ceann Cromtha asked about hop jigs, not slip jigs. They're not the same, amongst many musicians (although they are undistinguished by some...).
Ceann Cromtha wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:48 pm I should have referred to this as dance speed
"proper tempo", "dance speed", etc are all equally subjective so it didn't really matter. Generally I'd play my slip jigs slower than hop jigs.

As far as I know, most dancers who dance to hop jigs use these steps as the starting point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtCYUdJJM3s
Despite the label slip jig on the video and dance, the playing and dance would be more like how musicians play hop jigs, but a bit on the slower side, which is good for the purpose.

Here's another good dance example:
https://craft.itma.ie/ga/blog/saothar/c ... sty-miller
(Jackie is someone who initially learned hop jig steps from Michael Tubridy / Dan Furey as shown in the video above, and calls them hop jig steps)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I might be wrong but I recall Breandán Breathnach writing about the correct speeds (in his opinion) for dance tunes in the intro to Ceol Rince na hÉireann. I don't have the book but someone who does might be able to chime in.
PJ
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

NicoMoreno wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:33 pm
Just wanted to point out that Ceann Cromtha asked about hop jigs, not slip jigs. They're not the same, amongst many musicians (although they are undistinguished by some...)
Yes, of course. But I've also picked up a confusion between US and UK use; I've heard US friends using hop jig to describe the same recordings of the same tunes that people in the UK (where I live) call a slip jig. It makes it quite hard to know whether people are talking about the same thing.

From the point of view of learning to play them, they're both in 9/8 time and tend to use a heavy-light-light beat pattern. But emphasis can vary from tune to tune and type to type, and some do have a different feel – whatever the technical term is for "sort of bouncier", for instance. :lol:

Probably best to learn by listening rather than focusing on notation (which is pretty unhelpful as regards style).
Last edited by Moof on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

PJ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:18 pm I might be wrong but I recall Breandán Breathnach writing about the correct speeds (in his opinion) for dance tunes in the intro to Ceol Rince na hÉireann. I don't have the book but someone who does might be able to chime in.
Thanks. That would be helpful to have on hand.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PJ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:18 pm ... correct speeds (in his opinion)...
What he gave was more descriptive than prosciptive, based on the thoughts of the musicians he consulted. Guidelines for common and comfortable speeds, with the caveat that for sets and half sets a great variety of speeds would be encountered.

He gives slip jigs at 144 for a dotted crotchet.
That would be helpful to have on hand.
Paul de Grae's translations of introductions and endnotes of all CRE volumes are here
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Thanks, Peter! Much appreciated.