Tight joints

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Dogwell

Tight joints

Post by Dogwell »

Hi,
Has anybody any advice on freeing up joints that have become very tight.
Over the last year, the joints between the regs and the stock have become very tight.
I was counting on a period of low humidity and colder weather here in Kildare to loosen them up but they have not gotten any looser.
Any tips?
Thanks
Davy Dunne
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Re: Tight joints

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I recently had the same issue with a vintage highland pipe I'm restoring. The joint had probably been stuck for many years. I was able to liberate the stuck parts by putting some almond oil into the joint. I used a syringe to get as much as I could into the gap, then let it sit for an hour or so, and was able to twist the part out. Of course, be careful how much force you use.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Stuck parts can be difficult.

Firstly, if you have a dehumidifier, try putting the pipes in a small room with the dehumidifier and leaving them there for a few days.

If that doesn't work, try putting the pipes in the fridge (dry air).

Once you get the parts unstuck, remove some of the binding. In fact, check that the binding is not waxed. If it is waxed, remove it and replace it with non-waxed binding.
PJ
Dogwell

Post by Dogwell »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your suggestion, Il give the almond oil a go, getting it into the joints may be difficult.
I was considering putting them in the garage for a few hours( about 0C) but would be worried about damaging the reeds with the change in temperature.
There is always some interesting challenge with the pipes for sure.

Davy Dunne
Dogwell

Post by Dogwell »

Hi PJ,
Thanks for the suggestion.
The humidity here is lower than normal so I might try and dismantle what I can to get them into the case, then leave them overnight in the garage and try again.
I had the same problem a few years ago but not as bad and was able to remove them and rebind with non waxed thread so that they were free.
Regards,

Davy Dunne
Dogwell

Post by Dogwell »

All,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I got the set dismantled this morning having left it overnight at about 6 or 7C, once I got the bass reg removed I could get better grip on the rest.
I had the case wrapped in a towel to slow the rate of temp drop.
The were all very tight so taking my time and not forcing anything I have them all out.
Thanks again for your help,

Davy Dunne