measuring bore..any diy methods?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

measuring bore..any diy methods?

Post by rgouette »

Howdy, I'm curious if there's some DIY means of measuring the bore of an uilleann pipe chanter, aside from plunking down $$ for a tool...?

Cheers,
Rich
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: measuring bore..any diy methods?

Post by Pipewort »

A friend of mine had the same problem. His wife is a knitter. Collect every 'bore' - diameter - of knitting needle, and use them inserted up the bore, to measure the diameter you wish to replicate, and thereafter guide you to insert a drill of '...', etc, etc. Recording insertion length, as changes in bore occur

Any good - at least as a start?
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Thanks pipewort.. good info to think on..
I suspect I'll be coming up with my own solution at some point soon..
:)

Rich
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

This has come up several times before. One thing to keep in mind is bores rarely stay circular. One post or article (can't remember where I saw it) described using a probe, with thin plastic inserts (on the measuring end) cut to different lengths. The insert, being thin, could be turned to different orientations to measure the minor and major axes of the oval cross sections of the chanter bore. Once you've measured these ovals, you'll have to decide what the original bore diameter might have been. There are quite a few posts and An Piobaire articles dealing with the subject. Seems like there may have been one or two in the Sean Reid Society chronicles.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

Thanks Dave

~R
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Dave Quinn has some excellent papers on his CD ROM. Get one. Easy way is as Dave Boling said, and I have done so with a brass rod with plastic inserts turned to precision diameter pairs, one round and the other oval. You can measure with a machinist ruler or get fancy with a DRO.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

myrddinemrys wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:30 pm Dave Quinn has some excellent papers on his CD ROM. Get one. Easy way is as Dave Boling said, and I have done so with a brass rod with plastic inserts turned to precision diameter pairs, one round and the other oval. You can measure with a machinist ruler or get fancy with a DRO.
:)
thx