Traveling to Ireland

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bferdinand10
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Traveling to Ireland

Post by bferdinand10 »

Howdy folks,

So the dream is happening, my family and I are off to Ireland! I am not traveling with my pipes - but instead will be heading there with a whistle, and my daughter is traveling with her fiddle. While in Dingle (at least) we plan to play a set of jigs in a pub somewhere so that can be taken off my bucket list at list; at least for this first go-around.

I am posting this to the thread to ask does anyone have any sage advice for our travels? Either related to playing music over there or travel just in general I would like to get some experienced input.

Thanks you.
"If I could spend my days making art, playing my pipes, and being with my family and dogs.... I would be in paradise." ...Me.
reedmasters

Re: Traveling to Ireland

Post by reedmasters »

When are you planning on being in Ireland? My trip there was 52 years ago. Wish I'd stayed longer. The Puck Fair in Killorglin is a must see August 10- 12 if you're there then. It's not far from the Dingle Peninsula. Willie Week in West Clare July 1-9 is another one.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Ah geanie Mac ,sure don't I live in dingle. tell me when you're coming and I'll make sure I'm away that week. :thumbsup: Only messing of course , Dingle is small and it's not hard to find good music . Cillian O'Brien plays weekends in either Flatterys or the Dingle bay hotel . Eoin ( the hyper piper ) Duigan plays in the courthouse , which is owned by Tommy O'Sullivan, who used to play with Paddy Keenan. Tommy often does a set there and he's a great singer. Other than that just wander around with your ears open and you'll find great music. You'll certainly have the craic, Dingle is the best town in Ireland and you'll probably not want to leave.

RORY
Ps there's a step in session in the marina bar Sunday afternoons..A session started by the great Con Durham and still going in his honour.
Pps Puck fair is just an excuse for a piss up , not that we need much of an excuse.
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, when and where are you planning to go to Ireland? In Dingle I'd avoid Flattery's. Cillian and Bríd do a paid gig there, or used to, but I remember it as a big loud touristy pub, you can hardly hear the music. Better to go to Tommy Sullivan's Marina Bar to listen, or play a few tunes in the friendly sessions there. If you have access to a car then drive to nearby Ballyferriter and go to the session there at the pub, An Bric (sorry, it's closed now) , or visit the pub, forget the name, just near the Blasket Center. Bríd Donnelley, flute, Cillian O'Briain, pipes, and Bríd's sister on whistle, play there and there is set dancing too. In Dingle go to Maze Flattery's music shop, she'll help you out. You' ought to visit Miltown Malby, Co. Clare when the the Willie Clancy summer school is on 1st - 9th July. Sessions, concerts, workshops, traditional music all day and evening.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Yeah, I'm with Steamy on this one. If you're the dreary boring type that doesn't enjoy the craic or talking to Irish people stay well clear of O Flatterys. Definitely hire a car and do the slea head drive, stop at paudie O Shea's pub for lunch,drop into Kruger's the most westerly pub in Europe and just enjoy the magnificent scenery.
Your daughter should pop into foxy johns later in the evening as there's a fine dishco on there , might find herself a nice Irishman.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .