Trad in Japan

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
j dasinger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Trad in Japan

Post by j dasinger »

Hi,
I am going to be visiting Japan from the 25th to the 5th. I was wondering if anyone knew of any places with good sessions or trad bands playing. Im not sure if Im going to bring my pipes at all, but might like to take some friends to see a performance if there was one. Thanks for the help.
Oh yeah, I'll be in the Yokohama area.
peace,
JD
bagpipeworks

Post by bagpipeworks »

JD

I have several customers in Japan, if you contact me off list I will send you their addresses.

DDS.
innerhand
antispam: No

Post by innerhand »

I don't know if there is a Irish Pub in YOKOHAMA but an Irish Pub in
YOTSUYA(more closer to TOKYO,a little bit far from YOKOHAMA) named THE MORRIGAN'S will have a session in May 2nd(Friday).

THE MORRIGAN'S

Adress
Tiyoda-ku Kouji-machi 6-1-18 KoujimachiKyouei building 2F
phone number 03-3230-1450

You can go there from JR YOTSUYA Station ,CHYUOU-LINE

Hope that you enjoy your stay in Japan!
Felix

Post by Felix »

If anybody from Japan or visiting Japan is going to Nagoya, just tell me. There are some people playing Irish music here. There are regular concerts and workshops, though not enough sessions, unfortunately.

By the way, I'm new on this forum and I noticed there are Innerhand and Tak from Japan. Anybody else?
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Dear Felix,
In 1995 I spent three weeks in a Nagoya suburb called Komaki. I was there as part of a sister city/cultural exchange playing bagpipes and whistle in elementary and middle schools. I also played at a city fortieth annivesery concert right before the taiko drum band TAO. Small world! I want to go back to Gifu prefecture to the Unagi restaurent.
Omedeta Gozaimasu!
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Felix

Where is all this music goin` on in Nagoya? How many players and what sort of instruments? I live a little ways out in the boonies (Karasu-cho, Mie Prefecture--near Tsu city) but I head up to Nagoya from time to time. I play uilleann pipes, flute, and whistle and I haven`t been to a session in ages! It would be great to meet up with some other musicians in the Nagoya area.

Also, do you (or anyone else for that matter) know of any sessions in Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe?

Ookini!
Felix

Post by Felix »

›Sporting Pitchfork:

you can hear irish music (and others) at the Bumphy's, a pub in Kakuozan. Our band (named Nalsa) is playing there every fourth saturday of the month.
We have a workshop for beginners (all instruments) every second sunday of the month.
There are not a lot of sessions, infortunately. But I can PM or e-mail you when I hear about one.
By the way, the band Craic will play in Nagoya on may 5th, and they have an incredible good flute player.
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Does anyone know of any bands like Craic that will be playing in the Tokyo/Yokohama area anytime up to the 5th?
JD
johnmyers

trad in japan

Post by johnmyers »

I have a friend out there whos big into Trad ,if you drop me a line while I have a look for his address and I will forward the info to you. John
macfion

Post by macfion »

Lots of music in Japan, and its not all in the cities!
Should you feel like travelling to the real countryside :wink: you can always get a few tunes up here in Yamagata!
Usually its just myself (pipes) and a fiddle, and occasionally a flute but anyone who wants to join in is welcome, just pm me for details!
Also in the Tohoku area, a new Irish bar (Ha`penny bridge) opened in Sendai recently, might find some tunes. Should you fancy working on your timing there is also a set dancing group there who would love you to play for them :D

Pol.