Vpipes midi connection

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Oxtershuffler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I suffer from the same three problems as all the rest of you - reeds - chanter, drones and regs. I hope to find advice from members that will ease my pain. I think I will learn a lot from this forum because it has been the established place to go for a very long time.

Vpipes midi connection

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Hi,
do any of you guys use Vpipes and connect them to a 'studio' like Garageband?

I connect to my Mac, immediately Garageband recognises that there's a midi device connected, but no signal gets received on the recording track.
Is there some kind of driver I need to download, or some other way to record the playing from the Vpipes onto a midi track?

Thanks for any advice you might have for me.

OS
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Vpipes midi connection

Post by Moof »

Have you tried using the AudioMIDI Setup app? You'll find it in Utilities—for quick keyboard access, press Command+shift+U.

I've never recorded MIDI files myself, but I've seen my composer friend using this app more than once. I'm sure there'll be topics about it on the Mac support pages and forums.

This is one example of a support page article (tho it might not cover exactly what you need):

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/a ... bae1e0/mac
Oxtershuffler
Tell us something.: I suffer from the same three problems as all the rest of you - reeds - chanter, drones and regs. I hope to find advice from members that will ease my pain. I think I will learn a lot from this forum because it has been the established place to go for a very long time.

Re: Vpipes midi connection

Post by Oxtershuffler »

Thanks Moof.
You have given me a place to start, something to look into.