Book on E-bay

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Chris Bayley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Book on E-bay

Post by Chris Bayley »

Hi all

For those interested in collecting books here is one currently on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3515710273

Duncan Frasers book has a number of interesting photos including an early union/pastoral set with a straight bass drone (good for tripping people in crowded bars) and a set of MacGregor's Compact Pipes.

Many of the pipes shown in the book form part of the Fraser collection of the Royal Scottish Museum.

(Corrected typo's)
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TnWhistler »

Wow Chris, that'd be worth a read just for the chapter on "Tripping people in crowded bars". Being new to the pipes, I have just been using the ol' "foot in their path"method. These instruments are multifunctional as well as musically challenging.

Tim
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Unfortunately text part of book is mostly reminiscences and anecdotes as the title suggests. It is a while since I looked through it (British Library and Westminster Library have copies) but from memory there is little said about the pipes that are illustrated.

Perhaps one day the RSM where the Faser collection currently resides will publish a full illustrated catalogue
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Have had a couple of enquiries regarding the straight Bass drone so here is the scan of the set in question

I have not measured the set or seen it in the flesh but Pastoral Chanters are usually between 19" and 21" in length