Hand Stitched Bellows?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tanash369
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Hand Stitched Bellows?

Post by tanash369 »

Just curious if there are any other pros of hand stitched bellows besides the look and ability to use the clappers again, when making new gusset? Thanks.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Hand Stitched Bellows?

Post by rorybbellows »

Not many pipe maker's or bellows maker's making stitched bellows these days. The cons outweigh the pros by a large margin, so why bother with stitched bellows. A good question would be why were they ever made in the first place. Could it have been as simple as a shortage of tacks and stitching was the only way available.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by geoff wooff »

I have an old 'nailed' bellows which came with the 1852 Harrington set. When I got them the leather was the exact same on the Bellows and the Bag. Now we are fairly sure the set had left Ireland in the mid 1850's, perhaps it had returned at some point or a new bag and bellows had been purchased.... I cannot be sure but, when sealed with waxes and oils both held wind... for a while.
That Bellows is on its third gusset, and now leaking I might attempt to fit a fourth. So, it is possible to re-use nailed clappers..... the Hand Shoe Tacks are getting very hard to find these days and I'm not one for glueing on the gusset and then using a staple gun.
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

I have used escutcheon pins, 1.8 mm X 15 mm. Mind you, my source is a rather old-fashioned hardware come cook shop. Not at all sure they could be found in the large multiple builders' supply stores.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

If you can't find tacks, don't dismay
Go to the Internet and search eBay.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

I seen or heard that Andreas Rogge hads made stitched uilleann bellows

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

So, what's the problem with hand stitched Bellows? I've been using a very nice bellows from Geert Lejuene for close to ten years now without any problems.

Also, Brad Angus makes hand stitched bellows ~ https://bradanguspipes.myfreesites.net/for-sale
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

There's no problem with stitched bellows AFAIK, other than they are probably time consuming to make. There were some pipe maker's that were still hand stitching bags but most are probably now machine stitched.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
JordanMcConnell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Primarily a guitar player and also play pipes.
I have a Joe Kennedy full set in D, with a B set on the way.

Post by JordanMcConnell »

I have been making both stitched and tacked bellows for a few years and can offer a couple of general observations.
I make both styles with the same template and I find that the stitched bellows are a little less air efficient. The way they are stitched reduces the internal volume somewhat so they move less air with each pump than the tacked style.
They can be quite noticeably lighter though, since there is less wood involved in the cheeks and also fewer metal parts (no tacks or staples), and also a little slimmer. To me this contributes to a bit more of a ‘transparent’ feel in how they work. That is to say I notice stitched bellows less when I’m using them. Not sure how to say it besides that. Tacked bellows seem to feel ‘sturdier’ under the arm.
And yes, hand stitched bellows (and bags) are significantly more time consuming to make.
Hope this helps a bit.
Jordan
tanash369
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by tanash369 »

Thanks everyone for the input. I asked this question, since I love the look of stiched bellows, but cost might be prohibitive, for the purpose it has.
geoff wooff wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:07 am and I'm not one for glueing on the gusset and then using a staple gun.
I thought gluing before tacks helps to make bellows more airtight.
JordanMcConnell wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 am ...Tacked bellows seem to feel ‘sturdier’ under the arm.

And yes, hand stitched bellows (and bags) are significantly more time consuming to make...
Thank you Jordan for explanation. (‘sturdier’ under the arm usualy means good thing, so another point for tacked design). May I ask which one you prefer personaly and if not a secret, apr. how much % is surcharge for stiched style on top of the price for tacked one?

My purpose of initial question was mainly if stiched bellows can last and stay airtight longer and be more efficient in pumping - without uneven floppy motion or wobble that can make dead spots and air lost? But I gues that is more about the shape of wood, gusset and design itself than the tacks vs stiches.