Is it possible?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Sillysausage1968
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Post by Sillysausage1968 »

Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sillysausage1968
Tell us something.: bitter and twisted......................reed making can crush.....and most always does..............

Last edited by Sillysausage1968 on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Is it possible?

Post by rorybbellows »

Sillysausage1968 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:51 am
rorybbellows wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:49 am
Sillysausage1968 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:30 am..it requires a bag and bellows made with excellence to achieve the technique.... but they have been thin on the ground for sometime....
Would you have any recommendations where to get a suitable bag and bellows.
RORY
I would indeed...
You know, I had a funny feeling you might.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Sillysausage1968

ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: Is it possible?

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:58 am
I think it might be possible with some flat sets or very lightly set concerts for short tunes, in the right circumstances, with a confident player, in a tight fingering style, during a full moon, with 68.3758% humidity.
My C set could do it, no bother. It was my party piece for students who over-worked the bellows for a long time. Still on the original 1986 bag that at this stage owes me nothing, it has become more difficult.

Leo Rowsome was well known for knowing how to set up a set of pipes well. I don't think it was hyperbole on his part.

And I don't think 'tight style' uses less air, unless you clip your notes very short ofcourse.
IIRC weren't his own personal set of pipes said to be among the easiest ever to play?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.