F# Fingering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Madpiper13
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

F# Fingering

Post by Madpiper13 »

I recently received a C chanter, and haven’t had a chance to make any new reeds. With the one functioning reed that came with it, playing F# (lower octave) requires both E & F fingers off for a clean F#. Is this a peculiarity of the reed, or perhaps the chanter itself?

Thanks.
Last edited by Madpiper13 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: F Fingering

Post by NicoMoreno »

F or F#?

In my experience, flat pitch / narrow bore chanters take a different set of fingerings than wide bore / concert pitch chanters. The F# usually is happier with two (or three) fingers off. This is the case on my B, C, and D narrow bore chanters.
geoff wooff

Re: F# Fingering

Post by geoff wooff »

Although I agree with NicoMoreno that F#'s on flat chanters are often happier with two finger venting it is also possible that the chanter reed is a little too stiff. I generally find the type of Flat chanter with smaller tone holes to be more compliant with a lighter reed, more fully scraped, more flexible. However, clmatic conditions and personal tastes etc etc.... your findings may differ.

A more 'open' fingering can be helpfull with these old style chanters.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Mr. Ennis would usually lift two fingers when playing F# on the videos I’ve seen of him playing, neat stuffo
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Christian Tietje
Tell us something.: I'm an Uilleann Piper since 1985 and before piping a Flute-Player since 1977. Beside thits I played German Pipes in German Folk Music and I play and sing to the Guitar.

Post by Christian Tietje »

Hello f#-players :-),
in my opinion + based on my experience, this is to be seen in a more differentiated way.

The f# in the upper octave - with the chanters I've ever played and tested - it was always absolutely necessary to play it closed, only f-finger open. That fits perfectly to fiddle and accordeon.

The f# in the lower octave will also sound reasonable when being played closedly - for short notes! For rolls this sounds a bit bitchy but correct. It sounds better and closer to natural tuning when being played completely open, all three fingers off, tapped by two or three fingers. Probably for long notes at the end of a tune rather the f# should be flatended by shading/lowering with the f-finger. Try to shade at the end of an a-minor/a-dorian tune on the last note in harmony with others. Great because natural tuning to the a of the others :) !
Christian Tietje