David Daye practice set on Ebay (not cheap)...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ston
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ston »

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bid on this new auction just because it's now listed with "uilleann" in the title. Before it was just "irish bagpipe" or something like that.

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

yeah...before the old one ended I posted a "question to seller" and suggested that he relist at his original price with "uilleann" in the title. That's my good deed for the year :D
olehan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Plastic vs. wood practice chanters-Inferior vs. expensive?

Post by olehan »

I can't vouch-safe quality, but in his latest note to me, Mr. H mentioned they've been modified-the old practice sets were prototypes-and now the modified chanter, with bellows and bag, is expected to be shipping this week. I can easily understand that the plastic or delrin chanters and sythetic bags, etc. might seen as inferior by tradition-concious players.
I know that's the opinion of a GHB-playing friend.

Is this a common opinion with UP players?

Surely theres an old thread discussing it which includes Daye's penny chanter. I love the true tuning of my composite whistles, but there's nothing like the warm tone color that wood imparts, and the sound of a cane reed (I imagine) over a plastic reed.

There are any number of fine UP makers (highly-skilled craftsmen, dedicated to preserving piping tradition, I'm sure) that have all the orders they can handle.
I'm looking at the Hepburn set as an entry-level instrument, and a stepping stone to the Real Deal, if my meagre skill develops that far.
Bought my first Generations about 25 years ago, soon stumbled across Clarkes and Soodlums and Oaks and still have an 80's-style Feadog that is actually in tune. Favorite ceili whistle is my tunable susato. Bodhran: playing & teaching for about as long.