C#

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

C#

Post by PJ »

Happy accidents are great. I was on the lookout for a Cnat chanter. I came upon a nice one and bought it. When it arrived it was playing quite sharp of Cnat, but nicely in tune with itself. Turns out it's a C# chanter. Mis-communication between me and the seller. In any case, I've had the chanter for about 2 weeks now, and I'm having great fun with it.

I was never a fan of the idea of C# sets and didn't much see the point. C# doesn't have the lovely buzz of some of the flatter pitches and you don't hear of many C# sessions. But I've had a change of heart. It has more tone than a D chanter, but still has some of the punch of concert pitch.

It's also easy to reed. I'm not the world's greatest reed maker but a few of the C and B reeds I've made but not used, play very nicely in the C# chanter.
PJ
Jeff Cullen

Re: C#

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I recently acquired a Gleeson C# chanter and it plays beautifully with sweet tone. I don't have a lot of use for it in playing with other instruments, but it's very enjoyable to play. BTW, PJ, I'm still playing the Hunter Bb chanter you sold me a few years ago. Another really nice stick!
Cheers!
Jeff
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
jack london
Tell us something.: I like pipes and other things involving music, like music and pipes. Reeds are an enigma. Though I can make violins, I can not make a reed.

Post by jack london »

PJ--
who is the maker?
May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jeff Cullen wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:36 am BTW, PJ, I'm still playing the Hunter Bb chanter you sold me a few years ago. Another really nice stick!
It’s a lovely chanter. I regretted letting it go. I picked up another Bb earlier this year. It’s my favourite pitch.
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

jack london wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:00 pm PJ--
who is the maker?
Rogge. :love:
PJ