Found a new old set of pipes (Coyne)---who restores/ makes reed for them

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Gothichouse1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Checking on various items about Gaelic culture and Uilleann piping. Hope to get started back up playing again.

Found a new old set of pipes (Coyne)---who restores/ makes reed for them

Post by Gothichouse1 »

Hello all --

I stumbled on a great find --- an original Coyne 3/4 set on Facebook Marketplace.

They were from a student of Tom Standeven from way back in the 60s. 2 Coyne Dublin marks is on the Stock.

The length of the chanter is 390mm (not sure if Coyne -- not marked) It has a very long reed (90mm) that was with it is but shot;

the drone reeds & regulators sound, I do not have them set up --- they have a unknown bellows much newer than the set

I will post some pictures shortly --- What key would the chanter be in? Who in the states can help me with them? All mounts are bone or ivory.

Daniel MacQueen-Rossi
Gothichouse1
Tell us something.: Checking on various items about Gaelic culture and Uilleann piping. Hope to get started back up playing again.

Re: Found a new old set of pipes (Coyne)---who restores/ makes reed for them

Post by Gothichouse1 »

malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

Wow, that's quite a find! Hopefully no one has monkeyed around with the bore or tone holes in the intervening years since its manufacture. If you're on the east coast (and even if you're not), I'd suggest that David Quinn & Benedict Koehler might be the very people you seek to restore this instrument.

Best of luck, and if / when it's playing again, please do post some video of the results!
"History...is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis."
Gothichouse1

Post by Gothichouse1 »

I couldn't pass it up -- It looked old--- and complete --- the person had pictures with it partially together with regulators faced down so you could not see the keys.

...$300 US.

Sláinte mhaith!

Dan
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

The mounts on the chanter suggest that it's more recent.

They're an exotic decorative wood rather than ivory or catalin as seen on pipes from the 1930s through 1960s.

Birdseye maple??
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Gothichouse1

Post by Gothichouse1 »

They are bone or antler of some kind...

Dan
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

The 390mm chanter suggests a C# set. Best to check this against the length of the Baritone Regulator, which should be slightly longer than the chanter by 10 to 12mm.

The mounts on the chanter look to me like bone, perhaps horse ?

I recall Standeven talking to me about a Coyne set he had bought from Matt Kiernan , many moons ago. He sent me that set for restoration but it was definately not a Coyne so perhaps he confused this set with the one he sent me.
Gothichouse1

Post by Gothichouse1 »

I updated the file set in the google drive and added 2 measurements...
--if measuring the blackwood on the Baritone regulator 400mm; if including the Ivory top 423mm.
so... probably a C# set.

Inside bore of the bottom of the chanter is ~11mm; fairly long reed though---about 90mm for chanter.

Dan Rossi
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

Interesting!

Is this the set Standeven and some of his pupils called the "holy set"? So named because of its "antiquity and sweet tonality."

I own an old boxwood set once owned by Standeven. I communicated with a few people, former students, etc., trying to find out more of its history. A couple people suggested that it was the "holy set" but others said, no, the holy set was of black-colored wood, and one person recalled the chanter was by Matt Kiernan.

Some of Standeven's students are still around. Perhaps they could shed some light on this.

Nick

Nick Whitmer
Ithaca NY
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

The set that Tom called the "piob Naofa" was in B, if I recall correctly. I also remember a Coyne set in boxwood. That one went to
Bill McKenty who later sold it.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I love hearing about old sets being rediscovered. Best of luck getting the set restored.

On a side note, there was more than one Coyne making pipes in Dublin if I recall correctly. Didn't Maurice's son continue the business for a while?
PJ
JR

Post by JR »

PJ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:31 am I love hearing about old sets being rediscovered. Best of luck getting the set restored.

On a side note, there was more than one Coyne making pipes in Dublin if I recall correctly. Didn't Maurice's son continue the business for a while?
There was at least two, perhaps three Coynes.

This article is good if you're interested:

http://www.seanreidsociety.org/SRSJ2/a% ... making.pdf
Gothichouse1

Post by Gothichouse1 »

I was looking at the chanter --- it has nickel silver keys --- (same style as the the rest of the set but the regs and drones are brass. the cap is half brass and half nickel silver.

The original owner seems to think the the chanter was from Kiernan...

Dan
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Matt Kiernan generally stamped "M KIERNAN" his chanters (sometimes more than once). Also, I've not seen many Kiernan chanters with more than a Cnat key.
PJ
Gothichouse1

Post by Gothichouse1 »

The woman that I received the pipes from stated she thought that that Kiernan made the chanter as he had the set --Tom Standeven got them from Matt.

I looked all over the chanter and did not see any marks.

I think it was an old chanter that Matt may have worked on but not made.

Cheers!

Dan