pipe bags

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
johnz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnz »

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a David Daye Penny Chanter sometime in the near future, and I was wondering about acceptable pipe bags.I would prefer leather so I was thinking about getting a L&M highland pipe bag to tye the chanter and bellows into.I want to experiment on building my own drones sometime in the future and I was curious if there would be enough room to tye in the stocks for drones and regulators.
Thank you,JohnZ
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Highland bag are of unsuitable shape and size for the Uilleann Pipes. And their blow pipe is up the wrong way too;-). Don't buy one, it won't be of any use to you.
Ailin
antispam: No

Post by Ailin »

Are you aware that David Daye sells leather bags? The bag can be ordered as part of a practice set or separately. I have one with my set, and it is much sturdier than the vinyl bag he also sells. The bags are, of course, made for his chanter. I also asked David recently about the possibility about adding drones to the leather bag. He saw no problem with being able to do so.

Ailin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ailin on 2001-10-07 10:11 ]</font>
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I would suggest you order a David Daye leather bag if you're already getting his chanter. I don't know the quality of his bags but but I doubt you would have any problems as David is known for perfection.
------
You can also get bags from Michael Mac Harg. He specializes in leather bags for many instruments. Bruce Childress uses Mac Harg bags in the Uilleann sets he sells.
http://www.vermontel.com/~theweepiper/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2001-10-07 17:11 ]</font>
johnz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnz »

Thanks for all of your responses.I thought the L&M bag might work because they don't have any holes in them except for the chanter stock.I wasn't sure how the dimensions compared to a u-pipe bag.Although Davids chanters seem universally liked, the main reason I was thinking of L&M is because they are a well respected maker of bags, and I wasn't sure how Davids would compare.
Take care,
JohnZ