Byuing new or used drones (or any part of the pipes)? Pro and contra?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Byuing new or used drones (or any part of the pipes)? Pro and contra?

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
I what do you see as pro / contra concerning buying used pipes, especially drones?

I just bought a new (used) chanter as an upgrade for my practice set and want get drones sooner than later.
Now I think about ordering drones from a maker, or looking for nice used set of drones (as soon as I have saved up some money again).
What would you do and why?

contra:
I really don't want to wait 1 1/2 years or even more for a set from a good maker, but believe sets of drones or half sets without chanters turn up rarely. Chanters are pretty much aways for sale in facebook groups or here. Therefore it would be unlucky, looking a year for a set drones without finding one.

There still might be issues with the set, ordering a new set from a reputable maker is problems the saver option. I got the impression that something might be "wrong" with drones when people want to sell them.

pro:
I might not have to wait another 1 1/2 years or more for a set.

I will probably save a couple of hundred bucks (but binding them into my bag would probably still be something I would need a pipe maker for...and potentially getting new reeds)

And finally: Does maybe someone here think about selling their drones, not this month, but in a couple of moths? :D
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Byuing new or used drones (or any part of the pipes)? Pro and contra?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I posted a WTB here a few years ago asking after a set of D uilleann drones, and bought a very nice set of drones from a reputable maker in perfect condition for a fraction of the price they would have cost ordered new from a maker.

That's just one experience I know, but it was a very positive one.

About reeds, the drones I bought came with perfectly working ones.

About tying into the bag, that's something that most pipers learn to do for themselves.

For sure it's a bit scary cutting that hole in the bag! Because you can't un-cut it. But the process went well.

I went a bit overboard, because I tied in the bag with tie-in cord the usual way, then put a leather gasket around the tie-in and tightened an automotive hose clamp over the top. That makes a bulletproof tie-in that will probably last the life of the bag.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle