Tipping Your Pipemaker?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
nickredler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm waiting on a first set of uilleann pipes, looking especially for observations by and for new learners.

Tipping Your Pipemaker?

Post by nickredler »

Hi All,

I'm a brand new learner, I've ordered a half set that I expect will be arriving in the next couple of weeks. Is it customary to tip your pipemaker? I have these great feelings of personal warmth, despite having barely interacted; I wonder if that's just me being excited, or if appropriate in this case.

I've been reading this site with interest, particularly the discussions around learning the bellows/ bag operation using only a drone. I won't be able to attend in-person instruction until probably the fall, so I don't want to develop too many bad habits while I'm working by myself. Drones-only sounds like an eminently sensible place to start, if anyone has anything else to say about that I'd be grateful for your comments! I wish I had more specific questions, but I'm still weeks away from even knowing how to make mistakes.

Thanks!
Nick
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tipping Your Pipemaker?

Post by rorybbellows »

Hello Nick and congratulations, for your very first post I think you have come up with a question that has never been asked before and considering how long the forum has been going, that's quite a feat.
I would consider tipping to be a purely personal choice.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Welcome to the uilleann piping community Nick. I don't think it's the custom to tip the pipe maker who makes your pipes. A pipe maker is a skilled craftsman/woman who sets a price for his work and you pay it. Not the same as tipping a waitress/waiter or taxi driver. You can show your appreciation by praising the instrument and the pipe makers abilities to others. This could help generate orders so the pipe maker can make a living.

Na Pióbaire Uilleann has useful video material for beginners you could look at now to get an insight:

https://pipers.ie/source/section/?sectionId=2041

https://pipers.ie/source/gallery/?galleryId=36
nickredler
Tell us something.: I'm waiting on a first set of uilleann pipes, looking especially for observations by and for new learners.

Post by nickredler »

Thanks! I suppose if no one's asked before that answers the "customary" question.

NPU is a great resource, thanks for that as well. At this rate I should probably cancel Netflix and send NPU the money instead.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I'm sure they'd appreciate a bottle of 50 year old Glenlivet when you pick up your pipes..., or a pint the next time you catch them at the pub. :thumbsup:

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Toofargone

Post by Toofargone »

Do you mean "tipping " as in the ram/sheep context?
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

Do you mean "tipping " as in the ram/sheep context?
In Pennsylvania we tip cows.

Or perhaps the age-old tip: "Don't quit your day job."