uilleann mainstok - need help.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
zone1987
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I come from and live in Poland. I play uilleann pipes. I make Polish, Slovak and Hungarian bagpipes. Member of the NPU community.

uilleann mainstok - need help.

Post by zone1987 »

Hi ! My first post! I am working on a first set of drones for uilleann pipes. I have a problem with drilling holes in the mainstock. Do you have any proven methods? Maybe you know some articles besides Bill Haneman's famous article "Making a hollow mainstock". Hollow mainstock isn't very good for D sets. It's better for flat sets. That's why I don't want to focus on hollow mainstock.
an seanduine

Re: uilleann mainstok - need help.

Post by an seanduine »

There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube under ¨Offset Drilling on a Lathe¨.
It is also possible to accurately bore offset holes on a Milling Machine.
There are possible setups to accomplish this with a Pedestal Drilling machine to the depth required.
You start with a contentious proposition that a solid mainstock is preferable for ´D´ concert sets. . .but setting that aside for the moment, you could use a lamination of blocks to create a stocks with accurately placed offset holes.

Tell us what machining experience/available tooling you have.

These operations were possible to makers with treadle lathes, so your experience and skill are your only limit.

Early makers had no access to modern adhesives. . .so you have alternative paths available there. . .provided you are not limiting yourself with self imposed, and possibly wrong-headed design ideas.

If you have no training in machining you could profit by downloading and perusing various .pdf´s available online--search ´Machining-offset drilling on a lathe´.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
zone1987
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I come from and live in Poland. I play uilleann pipes. I make Polish, Slovak and Hungarian bagpipes. Member of the NPU community.

Re: uilleann mainstok - need help.

Post by zone1987 »

an seanduine wrote:There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube under ¨Offset Drilling on a Lathe¨.
It is also possible to accurately bore offset holes on a Milling Machine.
There are possible setups to accomplish this with a Pedestal Drilling machine to the depth required.
You start with a contentious proposition that a solid mainstock is preferable for ´D´ concert sets. . .but setting that aside for the moment, you could use a lamination of blocks to create a stocks with accurately placed offset holes.

Tell us what machining experience/available tooling you have.

These operations were possible to makers with treadle lathes, so your experience and skill are your only limit.

Early makers had no access to modern adhesives. . .so you have alternative paths available there. . .provided you are not limiting yourself with self imposed, and possibly wrong-headed design ideas.

If you have no training in machining you could profit by downloading and perusing various .pdf´s available online--search ´Machining-offset drilling on a lathe´.

Bob

Hi, thanks for the answer. I have experience with other bagpipes. I do them successfully. I am just looking for an idea for my TSA-16 small metal lathe and a bernardo 1000 eco wood lathe. I am thinking about offset drilling. I also have a large standing drill. With this post, I wanted to raise the discussion for other beginner makers.