Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory 1842

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
emer

Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory 1842

Post by emer »

curiosity value only, and probably seen before - bottom right hand corner - http://www.failteromhat.com/dublin/trade/tr17.pdf
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Re: Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory 1842

Post by rgouette »

musta been back when uilleann & GHB played nice together!
very cool.
I love old documents.
:)
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Maker of Scotch,

...and union pipes.

t
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

3 pipe makers listed there.

Interesting to see that the Kenna's were out of the pipe making business by then.

Here's another old document relating to an historic pipe maker

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 001451486/

Tommy
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tompipes wrote:Interesting to see that the Kenna's were out of the pipe making business by then.
Maybe their waiting lists were so long they didn't need to advertise any more. :wink:
PJ
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Another great example of the now non-politically correct 'Scotch' being used as the all-encompassing adjective to describe anything -- not just whiskey -- of Scottish origin. Thanks.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

I hadn't heard "Scotch" was non-PC..
maybe I don't travel in those circles?
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

rgouette wrote:I hadn't heard "Scotch" was non-PC..
maybe I don't travel in those circles?
The preferred terms now are 'Scottish' and 'Scots' when referring to anything but a very small subset of items like Scotch [whiskey], butterscotch, Scotch eggs, etc. Americans of Scots-Irish descent first identified themselves (and many still do) as Scotch-Irish when Scotch was still a catch-all adjective. Now it is more "correct" to say Scottish/Scots except in archaisms like those listed above.

I went to college at Appalachian State University in the heart of Scots-Irish America and there was this old curmudgeon that owned a store that sold Scottish items, including piping stuff. He had a bad reputation of jumping down people's throats whenever they said Scotch-Irish and it drew my attention to it. He'd gruffly inform them that Scotch is a drink and shouldn't be used that way. It drew my interest to the (de-)evolution of that term.
Last edited by Ceann Cromtha on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

ahh
Ceann Cromtha

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

The guy ("Laird Harvey") had some good qualities too, but was very outspoken about his beliefs. We used to like to go into his shop and get him fired up on a topic like this or another one (e.g., littering... he thought that anyone who littered ought to be hanged from a lamp post and would wax eloquently [in a really disturbing way] about how you could have them lined up and down the highway with signs on their neck announcing their crime).
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

sounds old school to me!
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billh »

tompipes wrote: Interesting to see that the Kenna's were out of the pipe making business by then.
Yes, well, they were dead... :P

Except for 'Anne Kenna' who continued to be listed in Dublin business directories through 1847-48 according to Seán Donnelly... Timothy is thought to have died around 1840, and Anne may have been his wife... or daughter... we just don't know.

The address above in the Pettigrew and Oulton 1842 directory for John William Coyne - 2 Essex Quay - was in fact Timothy Kenna's old workshop address, and the address of "Anne Kenna" as well. Oddly, one directory lists Anne as "Anne Coyne" in 1842 (but not Pettigrew and Oulton's, apparently)).

http://seanreidsociety.org/SRSJ2/a%20ce ... making.pdf
Last edited by billh on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Essex Quay- isn't that where NPU moved from?
PadraigB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by PadraigB »

The residents of house number 18 in Armstrong Street (Rathmines & Rathgar West, Dublin)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... eet/64347/

Original:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/r ... 000148817/
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi emer,
would it be possible to share the next page of Pettigrew & Oulton's as well (as I am particularly interested in John Egan)?