Migrate from GHBpipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Varghjärta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Migrate from GHBpipes?

Post by Varghjärta »

Hi ya'll! (just registered)

# I live in europe/sweden, i'm a "teen" and not having the strength to
#browse throu the long members-list it would be cool if anyone near me
#would speak up, since I know noone around here that plays uillean.

Ok, um, I am, or perhaps I should say _was_ a student of the "Drums And Pipes of the st Royal Engineers"(GHB) eversince I found that my dream of bagpipes perhaps wasn't so unrealistic after all.

At the moment i'm just oh so very confused about my choice.
I have always loved bagpipes, everything about them, their sound just touch something _very_ deep in my soul and often times I just break out in tears for no reason whatso ever, other then feeling overwhelmed with emotions(from hearing pipes).

And one of my highest wishes in this life is to play "the pipes", for in my dreams I can do so already, but I would like to be able to do it IRL aswell.

I was aware when I first started with the highland pipe the existance of the uillean, but for some reson in my mind I thought that the GHB were "sorta" the same... But in the recent days, a cloud of confusion and second thoughts have been building in the back of my head...

I _thought_ that the highland pipes were _me_, but i'm not sure anymore, probably sparked by hearing pipe-music and even learning to my suprise that.. it's not the GHB but the "Uilleann",and so i'm wonderig if in fact it is the uilleann thats echoing in my dreams.

I'v stoped going to "classes"(pipe) cuz i'm sorta depressed, wondering if I'v made such a huge mistake...

For, the more I think about it, the more _hard_ the sounds of the GHB becomes, i even tried playing the braveheart theme, but... I just can't get it to sound as soft and not being able to adjust the pitch(or whatever it's called) is more an more becomming annoyng since moste of the time it just screems in the same monotone way...

I can't afford to buy a real GHB set, so i'v been playing a PC at home, and perhaps it was a good thing I never did get my plans throu to buy a GHB.

Say... i'v come to the point in my studies where I can read the notes(in the workbook.. made by Piping centre in Glasgow), and kinda finger.
Would it be very hard for me to migrate to the uillean???

I'v read on many places that it's not hard at all, that one holds everything the same way etc, yet others say the complete oposite :(

As a matter of fact, today is the very day that i'm first starting to fanaticly search for uillean info, since today was the day when I found out some of my favorite music was not played by a GHB after all :(

So i'm now just as eagerly as when I found out that it wasn't as uncommon as I thought with(highland) bagpipes in this country as I thought to go after this "Uilleann" thing. So you'll have to ecuse my forwardness(!), but the feeling of being lost is extremly strong.

Couse I though that pipes atleast where one of the few stable things in my life.. but.. now feeling as if i'v squandered so much time and loosing that solidness... it's not funny.

Does anyone know about even anything remotly close in the/to the NW european area that might be good for me to know? Are there any pipe-makers?, any teachers?

I had a hard time when I first became very serious about pipes to even find out that there were alot of GHBpipers in my very neighbourhood(figurativly speaking), and GHB makers were even more uncommon ("swedish pipes"kind is much more easy to find stores that sells em btw), so I'm assuming Uilleann things will be even harder to find.

Lots of thanks in advance!
Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

Ok seriously, been checking throu the prices.. drones alone 900£?!

Assume it just was not ment to be, will never be able to come up with that sort of money for even an entire set...*long and deep sigh*

How terribly pointless everything is...
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

I coud have written your first message myself 9 years ago. 7 years later I finally got my set.

It soundslike you've "got it bad" and the only thing to "cure" you is to get on with it. Fortunately, the Uilleanns are a modular instrument and you can easily start off with a practice set (bag/bellows/chanter) and add the drones and regulators later. I suggest you check out Davy Stephenson's Student chanter sets (www.bagpipeworks.com) or one of Dave Daye's Penny chanters (www.daye1.com).

It' in your soul now. You're a piper, it's your destiny.........

:)

Jeff
Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

~ hope rising ~

*smile*, hm, I'm afraid the prices on http://www.bagpipeworks.com are a wee out of my league :(, not much of an income as a student.

I liked the prices better on the other site though... um is this it;

"Often termed a "Practice Set" . Finished Penny-Chanter and finished stabilized natural cane reed, Vinyl Bag Kit, real wood-&-leather Bellows Kit, all necessary connectors and parts. Reeds and sets are shipped into any climate." for $340?

But, if I don't have a "regulator", then I won't be able to sway(?) the pitch(?) will I?
Then it has just as a military'ish monotone sound as the GHB(?).

Aren't there any Practice "Chanters" for a Uillean as there is for the GHB?, I'm still afraid of the migration since I won't be able to play anything if I can't play it as I'v learnt from the GHB :(. Plus that whole "bellow" concept is still alien to me. I'm used to blowing :P.

Is it possible to "upgrade" a chanter if they exist?, so that I could perhaps _try_ it atleast and not spend a fortune the first time around.

If I could get one, would it be smart to do so without a teacher?
I'm doubting there are as many "classes"/groups for the uillian as the GHB.

I would be starting from scratch I'm guessing, did you learn it on your own?
It' in your soul now. You're a piper, it's your destiny.........
*touched*
I kinda figured that when my mind started concentrating more on pipes then on eating, and couldn't fall alseep fast enough so I could "fly" across the highlands to the pulsating sound of pipes in the background :)... or when I can't walk into a forest or see an old'ish tree or green field of flowers without getting a tear in my eye over how beautiful the pipes sound.. that's playing inside my head :D *insane*

But noone's every told me that before, thanks(really)!!!
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Same story here. I waited many years in desparation before making the switch. Actually it was an addition because I still play Highland pipes. Please reconsider throwing away what you've learned on the practice chanter. You can make progress on both instuments at the same time without too much trouble. We believe in you. Check out Dave Daye's penny chanter site and Bagpipe works in england. You will find these options more affordable. They are listed in some of the previous posts which you should definately browse through to answer some of the basic questions. Best of luck!
Marc
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

I don't think there really is any migration from the GHBs to the Uilleanns. They are beasts of a different flavour.

I wouldn't suggest giving up on the GHBs as the same finger control would be helpful on both types of chanters. If you really want to get going on an inexpensive set of pipes then try the practice pipes at Kilberry Bagpipes. Right now they're £120.00 but I've seen them sell used for around $80.00. In the meantime save your money for a Uilleann practice set.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

there are practice chanters for up that are mouth blown but I've yet to hear a single good thing about any of them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hya young GHB person in Sweden why don't you contact Thomas Johnson.He is a friend of mine and he lives in Sweden and I am sure he will be happy to help.
His e mail is thomas johnson@mail.telia.se he runs a website for pipes Johnson's Uilleann Pipe Site.
Good Luck
Liam
Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

Oo, I'm overwhelmed by the respons :P.

marcpipes:

So you play both?
Would you say it's a very big difference in playing the two?, was it hard starting out on the Uilleann eventhough you played GHB?
No I won't throw away what i'v learned so far, sorry to say but i'm not that musicly talanted when it comes to the instrumental area. I mostly get by by sheer will power in defience of my natural lacking of talent :), so i suspect I might begin to forget if I begin with something completly different. My GHB teacher once said I was a "natural" at the fingering-bit, that I didn't make as many mistakes as many other newbies do.. but.. she might have been trying to be nice ;)

I sure will check throu the rest of the posts, and i checked out the penny-thingy for a moment and if it actually works that woul dbe cool since it doesn't seem to be as expensive, perhaps it was in my imagination by I downloaded a sample and it sounded really _great_, just hope they come pre-assebled ;) *can build anything with circuits in it but not this*

John Allison:

Kilberry :), I remember a person in my "class" having one of those(GHB), some friend in schotland just gave it to him :P. Um, do you mean I should get a GHB set or do they actually make Uilleanns as well? *can't find any*

Antaine:

:( that's too bad. So i'mg onna have to get used to both playing in a different way _and_ get used to pumping air with my right arm instead of blowing :)

Uilliam:

Hey you... adult person :D ,
Uhh, *makes a note of it*, so now the Uillean player count is up on 1 in sweden :)... I hope there are more.
I'm really greatful for this :party:, I will email him asap and annoy him with questions :) *hopeful*, closest i'v come so far.
And if he can't help me I'm gonna bug you guys some more ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will make sure to read throu all posts in this forum as soon as I can to avoid being annoying repeating common questions... just that, If I can't get me a pipe I _WILL_ die... sorry anyway
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS. I have to go away(into the "big city") for a while, and might not have access to a comp, so don't think i'm ignoring anyone if I don't reply here in the next few days(be back home monday probably).

Thanks for everything!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

i was recently pricing sets - what exactly is your price range? how much are you willing to spend on a practice set? on a full set? I might remember a few names from when I was looking.
Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

:) Hi! -- was about to disconnect when I saw the notice of reply in inbox.

Pricing? Do you own a store or something? *impressed*

Hm, i'm not sure. One huge problem is that I have _no_ frame of reference, I don't know what is cheap and what is not, and i'm slightly afraid to spend those $300 eventhough it sounds cheap for something "real"(GHB seems expensier), becouse I can't play it :(, and i'm not rich so I can't very well buy it and then finding out it really sucks and have to get an other one.

I got really psyked out about buying pipes from the teachers we had, who told alot of horror stories of crapy pipes and how the "real" pipes do it so and so. I told em I found some cheap pipes on The Lark in the morning(?), but got warned not to buy thing like that cuz their probably made in pakistan and just have a label "made in scotland" eventhough their not and are not worth the money.

Just... since i'm a fresh newbie now again(*sigh*) I would just need something I could use, something that sounds ok, it doesn't have to be perfect but I would love to be able to play the braveheart-theme on it :),like experiment and making learning funny and not all pain.

$300 is to me as someone with little income(student) still a _huge_ sum of money to be spent on something I know almost nothing about(beside it making beautiful sound). Like, $200 would even be better(oviously), that's like two GHB practice chanters. As little as possible really :), but something that I could play on for a year or so.. and perhaps replace it later with something better when I know more about these things. you know..

PS. I wasn't the one who bought my first PC, the piper "school" bought like a lot of them from some dude in scotland and handed them out to everyone.. so i'v never actually IRL visited any makers and seen em in action..
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Okay, you're in a similar situation to me when I began price-shopping for a full set (AND a quarter set, for that matter). here's what I found most useful (you may want to tuck away the full set info for future reference):

Practice Sets:
Bruce Childress - $980
Silver Bush Music (UP "model #5) (My first practice set, pakistani, but never had any complaints) - #750
Tim Britton - $1500
David Daye (simple kit) - $340

Full sets
Bruce Childress $3450
Tim Britton - $7700
David Daye - N/A
Silver Bush Music (UP model #7) (full set version of model #5) - (untried) $ 3200 (for $250 more go with Bruce)
Tim Britton rebuilt pakistani set - $2600 (what i currently play - no problems. like bruce childress' chanter much better but this one isn't terrible and does have three keys)
ston

Post by ston »

Varghjärta wrote: Pricing? Do you own a store or something? *impressed*
"Pricing refers to doing research to find out how much things cost. Antaine was looking around to find out how much a set of UP would cost.
Varghjärta wrote: Hm, i'm not sure. One huge problem is that I have _no_ frame of reference, I don't know what is cheap and what is not, and i'm slightly afraid to spend those $300 eventhough it sounds cheap for something "real"(GHB seems expensier), becouse I can't play it :(, and i'm not rich so I can't very well buy it and then finding out it really sucks and have to get an other one.
I'm new to UP too, but here are some of the things I've learned from this forum and web research.

1. Stay away from Pakistani pipes. Sometimes they sound good but they usually have serious issues that you should avoid as a new player.

2. It's best to buy from a maker who's close to you. That's a little difficult for most beginners, since there are only a few inexpensive options for people just starting out. If you need to buy from someone far away, make sure they have a good reputation. You could even ask them for a list of satisfied customers and call around and ask peoples' opinions and advice.

3. David Daye's Penny Chanter is probably the cheapest viable option. His sells kits to make a penny chanter, bellows, and bag for $280. You have to have access to a drill press for that, though, so he also offers the same kit but with the chanter already fully constructed -- you just have to put together the bellows and bag. The kit with the pre-made chanter costs $340, and there are several higher-cost options as well (high C key, leather bag, and others). See his web site (http://daye1.com/pennychanter.html) for details.

4. I've heard lots of good things about Patrick Murray's starter sets. He makes his chanters out of plastic instead of wood, so he's able to charge almost half the price of a decent wooden practice set. The sound is reportedly very good, and the chanter is well in tune. His starter sets go for $500, and you don't even have to put anything together yourself :)

5. I've heard of a maker in Germany who makes plastic chanters, but I don't remember who that is (anyone else know who I'm talking about?). If I remember correctly, they are less expensive than wooden chanters, but still significantly more expensive than penny chanters or Patrick Murray sets.

6. I definitely encourage you to get in touch with other UP players in Sweden. You've already heard about Thomas Johnson from Uilliam, and Thomas can probably tell you about other players too. Perhaps there's even someone near you who you can take lessons from?

7. If you can't find nearby people to take lessons, consider ordering the teaching videos available from Na Piobairi Uilleann (www.pipers.ie). Speaking of which, you should probably join NPU, too. You'll get discounts on their mail order catalogue, including those videos, as well as the newsletter and a few other perks.

Okay, I'm tapped out. Can anyone else think of anything I've forgotten to mention? Other advice I don't know about?

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Dear Varghjarta(sorry, no umlat on american keyboards),
Instead of spending the money to see if you can play uilleann pipes, you might cinsider getting a good tin whistle in the key of "D". With this you could see if you can get a feel for Irish music at a much lower price.
Since it is mouth blown, you won't have as much addapting to do as you would using a bellows. If you decide you don't like it, you haven't lost much money and there are no reeds to worry about. You can also play some of the highland pipe music, but there is no low g.
It wasn't that hard to make the switch between ghp and uillean, but I had already been playing ghp since 1988 so there was a fair understanding of keeping the bag going anyway. Give the whistle a go. That might help your final decision.
Marc
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

Hello Varghjärta,

I live in sweden and plays the Uilleann pipes. If you come to Helsingborg you are welcome to visit me and try them out.

http://host.bip.net/par.kristoffersson