Migrate from GHBpipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Varghjärta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Varghjärta »

lol, gattling gun, good simularity..um,.. comparision.. eh.. that word! [insert real english word].

Pipe organ, now there's a concept. Well, I imagine it takes quite a good sense of multi-tasking to pull someting like that of! with only two hands even. I wonder what it sounds like, got any musical tip? a song or something I could download.
That's Abba, right? Or is it Ace of Base?
Hah, very funny.

Myes, I think I recall Abba-teens having a piper in many of their songs.. not..
Who listens to abba anyway, geez, thats like so... 40s or whenever they were "large" ;) ;) ;) :D...

PS, I have never even heard any of their songs.
ston
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ston »

Varghjärta wrote:Back to what i was saying... not that I don't like them but it's not exactly my idea of extraordinary beauty :), I investigated, heard and determined that those can't make the sound 'of my dreams' -- thus my continued journey, I met GHB and _thought_ I had found my holy grail.
They're great for folk-music, but i don't think they make very good solo instruments... but what do I know.. i'm a teen lol... all I know is that it's not cool in the way I like coolness to be :)
So are you playing any instrument now? I would suggest that it's better to play something (or sing) than to do no music, even if it isn't the final instrument you plan to get good on. I totally understand about wanting a cool instrument, though. Why do you think I'm getting into uilleann piping? :)

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Varghjärta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Varghjärta »

I hope the "cool"ness thing didn't get misunderstood :)

I'm just in the search for the instrument that 'is me'.

I'v searched for along time ever since I realized perhaps piping is not something that is restricted to the land of dreams.

As I think I mentioned in the first post I made here, I found the GHB and I was SO sure that was my "grail" or whatever you'd call it. That I had discovered the thing that my soul longs for and will never be complete without.

But I got slightly depressed when my eyes adjusted to a world where pipes can actually be played by mortal men and women (i'v been ignorant a long time in my life, and belive it or not but I thought bagpipes no longer really existed or was played even exept by non-existing ppl on the tv.. or something.. only a fragment of a dream), and when i got adjusted to it I grew ever more unsure that the GHB was ever what I really searched for.

So I quit.. or more to the fact... I stoped going cuz my world was slightly shattered from having the dream at fingers-reach but having it yanked away out of sight once again.

So no.. i'm not playing anything really :(, exept sometimes when I pick up the GHB chanter I used in class and try blowing it a little.

I have an electric guitar though :P.. and.. when I was younger I played the flute.. i have no real memory of it, though from what I gather from peoples storyes of when I played at school graduations(summers start) and such that I played pretty well. So i guess I have the 'wind instruments' in my blood or something. And I like to think that it was all an instinct and wanting from something that still lay buired deep inside.. that the pipes were perhaps calling though quietly...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get your point, but doesn't it matter what musicalish effort?

Um.. I sing.. a little bit, and will probably sing in a band, somtime later on, and when/if I can play the pipes the idea have been to perhaps experiment with including it in new forms of music where bagpipes aren't perhaps very well known to be featured in...

Why do you think I'm getting into uilleann piping? :)
:D :D :D :)
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Hey Lorenzo,

Swedish bagpipe music sound files can be heard here:

http://user.it.uu.se/~crwth/bagpipes/swedish/music.html

Jeff
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Varghjärta wrote:.. when I was younger I played the flute..
Maybe flute is a good place to start or even just a whistle. Fingering flute and whistle are nowhere further from uilleann pipes than GHB. Check out Tony Dixon's site for whistles and flutes.
A whistle is very cheap and low whistles have kind of a dreamy sound with a finger posture closest to uilleann pipes. A whistle can cost as little as a few dollars to around $100 for a basic low whistle.
Since you have flute experience you could puff on an Irish flute. The fingering is almost identical to whistle and you can play it with pipers' grip. A student flute or a plastic flute are cheap ways to get going on flute.
You have a lot of time before you'll actually play uilleann pipes, even if you do miraculosly come up with the money for a set tomorrow. You can wait a year or more for a practice set, 3-5 years for a full set.
David Daye's Penny chanter is your best economic buy into uilleann piping. Andreas Rogge's plastic chanter is more expensive but a well respected chanter.
GHB is not a bad way to start but if you don't have the passion for it as you've said then it's maybe too expensive of a gateway to uilleann piping since a GHB costs about the same as an uilleann practice set.

I would say start saving your money for a good practice set and play flute or whistle until you get one. If uilleann is the sound you're after then go for it.

Good luck!
Aaron