Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110686
Page 1 of 1

Author:  shakyhands [ Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

Has anyone heard any news from or about Tommy Martin? He built me some pipes a couple years ago, but basically disappeared off the map before finishing and sending them my way. Much to my chagrin, I had already paid him the four grand for the half set, including the Kelleher gear that I had sent to his place. I have tried contacting him intermittently over the past two years, but have never heard back. I genuinely liked the guy, he got me set up with my first practice set, which I had bought secondhand, and had been sending photos of the new half-set in question as they were being constructed, nearly to the point of completion. Sometimes he was slow in correspondence, though at other times he was quite enthusiastic about building the set, but he hadn’t left me hanging until the end here. I doubt I really have any recourse, and certainly hope he hasn’t fallen ill or anything. It’s a hard hit to take though, and thought someone here would have some advice or connection. Thanks for any of your wise words. Please feel free to PM or email me.
Cheers
Jake

Author:  Fergmaun [ Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

Have you tried facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tommym1

Cheers

Ferg

Author:  An Draighean [ Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

He was at the St. Louis tionól last year (2019) and seemed well enough then.

He reeded a set and another chanter for me 5-6 years ago, took a long time, and communication was spotty, but he came through in the end. Super nice guy and a good piper; maybe just not as sharp on the business side of things.

Author:  patrick Jacob [ Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

An Draighean wrote:
He was at the St. Louis tionól last year (2019) and seemed well enough then.

He reeded a set and another chanter for me 5-6 years ago, took a long time, and communication was spotty, but he came through in the end. Super nice guy and a good piper; maybe just not as sharp on the business side of things.


Was that the NBD ?

Author:  An Draighean [ Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

patrick Jacob wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
He was at the St. Louis tionól last year (2019) and seemed well enough then.

He reeded a set and another chanter for me 5-6 years ago, took a long time, and communication was spotty, but he came through in the end. Super nice guy and a good piper; maybe just not as sharp on the business side of things.


Was that the NBD ?


It was, Patrick.

Author:  patrick Jacob [ Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

An Draighean wrote:
patrick Jacob wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
He was at the St. Louis tionól last year (2019) and seemed well enough then.

He reeded a set and another chanter for me 5-6 years ago, took a long time, and communication was spotty, but he came through in the end. Super nice guy and a good piper; maybe just not as sharp on the business side of things.


Was that the NBD ?


It was, Patrick.


ai ai ai...... I presume that was the man who changed the bore of the chanter of the NBD.... what needed lots of extra work to get the chanter again as it should be and also all those reeds needed to be replaced because they were not of any use....

Author:  An Draighean [ Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

patrick Jacob wrote:
An Draighean wrote:
patrick Jacob wrote:

Was that the NBD ?


It was, Patrick.


ai ai ai...... I presume that was the man who changed the bore of the chanter of the NBD.... what needed lots of extra work to get the chanter again as it should be and also all those reeds needed to be replaced because they were not of any use....


Well, I didn't know that the bore had been changed, I suppose it is possible - he had it for some time, but I never asked him to do anything like that, only to make new reeds. The humidity and climate where he lives are very similar to the humidity and climate where I live, so I thought the reeds would fare better than the originals, which had opened up on the sides and were not playable any longer.

Author:  shakyhands [ Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

Thanks for the input, everybody. He had a blip of activity on fb this year so hopefully the message I sent on that platform makes a connection.

Author:  Fergmaun [ Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Any word on Tommy Martin? (regarding pipes purchase)

From Tommy Martins webpage https://irishpipes.wordpress.com

New timeline for Uilleann pipes!Due to the demand of the new Thornton Wooden Whistles, my Uilleann pipes and other work commitments there is a new waiting time for my Uilleann pipes only.

There is now a 5 month waiting period for practice sets and chanters, 7 months for half sets and 1 year for full sets.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/